Monday, April 25, 2016

2012 Linda Howard Award of Excellence Winner: Christine Glover's Story

Author Christine Glover
I entered 4 manuscripts into the 2012 Linda Howard Award of Excellence contest. My hope was to final with at least 1 manuscript, but I got super lucky and TRIPLE FINALED!! There is a YouTube video of me swinging my hair at a Southern Magic meeting after this fantastic announcement.

Finaling felt great! Triple finaling felt even greater.

This triple final came at a time when I had reached a dark place as an unpublished writer. I was very close to quitting that January. Though I had finaled and won other contests during the years prior to this triple final, and I had garnered lots of requests from editors and agents due to those finals, I just couldn't get any traction. After 7 years of sitting alone in a room on a chair, the demons of doubt and despair were pounding at my door.

Why go on?
Am I just kidding myself?
Will I ever sell?
Does this even matter?

Recognize any of those questions? Yeah. They dogged me, and I actually spent one week not writing at all. I redecorated my media room, went for lunches with friends, pretended that the stories no longer mattered as much as regaining some sense of accomplishment.

Yes. I almost quit writing in January 2012. Surprise!

Then I got the call from Heather Leonard, that year's Linda Howard Award of Excellence coordinator, and she told me I triple finaled. Wow! I was floored. I couldn't believe it. But it was real. Pinch me!

This triple final saved me from myself. It stomped the demons of doubt and despair, and booted them out of my mind. I wasn't a hack. I wasn't wasting my time. I was going to sell one day. And I was validated as a writer.

I got back in the chair. I wrote again. I was inspired to keep chasing my dream of being published. I worked toward getting that "call." I won the 2012 Linda Howard Award of Excellence and my winning manuscript was requested by the editor who judged the contest. It was also requested by another editor at a different publishing house. That manuscript didn't sell, but it opened a lot of doors for me, giving me the opportunity to work directly with a Harlequin editor for over a year. More than that, it gave me the fire in my belly to fight again. To go for the brass ring. To WIN!

The following year, I took on the role of overall coordinator for this prestigious contest. I ended up finding my current editor during my tenure as coordinator for the Linda Howard Award of Excellence. I sold my first story to her in May 2013 and I've had a fun run ever since I got the "call" from Entangled Publishing. I currently have 4 books published since 2013, 3 more coming out in 2016 and a new series on the deck for release in 2017.

I am living the dream!

And I have the Linda Howard Award of Excellence contest to thank for keeping my dream alive during the darkest hours of my writing career.

What does this mean to you? To the person who is wondering whether or not to enter? Enter!! The feedback alone helped me improve all my manuscripts. One of those triple finaling manuscripts that wasn't requested in 2012, sold in 2013 to Entangled Publishing.

Enter today! You will be happy you did for a multitude of reasons. And if you final, please contact me and tell me how awesome you feel about your final!

christinegloverauthor@gmail.com

Bio:


Christine Glover is the author of tantalizing, sensual, emotional contemporary romances. She enjoys finding the silly in the serious, making wine out of sour grapes, and giving people giggle fits along with heartfelt hugs. When she’s not writing, you can find her traveling the world, cooking gourmet food, and desperately seeking a corkscrew.

For more information about Christine's books check out her website: christinegloversite.com

Tweet Christine 
Like Christine on Facebook
Hear about her new releases from her non-spammy newsletter!

Christine's next release is THE MARINE'S RED HOT HOMECOMING: Book 3 in the Sweetbriar Springs' trilogy. Check her website and Facebook page for her May release information.

Currently, you can pre-order Christine's anthology HEARTBREAKERS AND HEROES: Billionaires, Bikers, Sports Stars, Cowboys, Cops and More!

Love Doesn't Always Play by the Rules....



A brotherhood of twelve men bound together by their troubled youth and one mentor who taught them the rules for becoming men of honor. But some of them haven't been following those rules...

Get your hands on TWELVE sexy HEARTBREAKERS AND HEROES- all new romances from USA Today bestsellers and your favorite contemporary authors that are sure to get your heart pounding.


Love doesn't always play by the rules…







You can pre-order your .99 cent anthology today from these fine booksellers: 


No comments: