Monday, March 07, 2016

Once Upon A Time In Brina Land by Brina Cary

Once Upon A Time In Brina Land by Brina Cary


Once upon a time. It sounds like such a cliche. A pun, when compared to real life. Some people have happy endings and other people work for them. Some people also live the life of a comedy — a comedy of errors. That’s me.

My wedding was unusual, at best. It was probably destined to fail from the beginning, but it makes for one heck of a story. You see, some people turn into bridezilla. Some might even make Hannibal Lecter look like a lovable guy. Others live in denial.

It was in Las Vegas. I wore a Halloween costume. It was February. I was 19 years old.

That should say it all. If you’re enticed though, here’s the full story. My heart was broken and I jokingly agreed to marry a friend. Yep, I was one of those. As I stood in line at the courthouse for a marriage certificate, I giggled thinking it was the best joke ever. As the limo picked us up to take us to the ceremony I still laughed. As I stood in a room full of roses in a vampire Halloween costume, I began to get nervous. The officiant asked me if I did and I said “sure, haven’t got anything else better to do.” Seconds later I was married. The permanent kind of married...

As pictures were taken after the “I do” exchange you can actually see a look of utter terror cross my face. That was about the time that I realized I had to call my mother and tell her I got married in Vegas. My deeply religious mother… I’m Catholic, so that should give you a general idea of the script play going on inside my head. It was actually a month before I became brave enough to make that call. I had never been more glad than ever that there was 2,500 miles between my parents and I. That and I lived on a military base… Imagine telling your Dear Sainted Mum that you had been married in Vegas in a Halloween costume… Yeah, I was deluded enough to think the MAs could protect me.


After I realized that the wedding had truly occurred, and it wasn’t just a weird dream, I hid. I was mysteriously busy for all my holidays until I had the guts to tell my family. Turns out my brother was a rat though. My penance was a year of guilt.

So, whomever can beat this story will be entered to win a book. Just know that I'm a bit behind on my mailings because I'm a wee bit sick right now.  :)

12 comments:

Jennifer Ray said...

I can't beat that! Young and foolish is always fun to look back upon, but awful to experience. ;) Great post, Brina!

Brina Cary said...

Lol, you'd be amazed at the things I've seen from my military days. I miss those days though. They call to me in my dreams most nights. :)

Nancee Cain said...

I want to see a picture.

Jennifer Ray said...

Hmm... Sounds like plot bunnies to me. ;)

Jennifer Ray said...

I agree!

Brina Cary said...

Lol, Nancee, the pictures were unfortunately destroyed in the fire. I don't think anyone would have recognized me though. I was a size 6. :)

Jennifer, I've thought about tossing it in a story, but one where it works out. :)

Brina Cary said...

So, I think you guys should tell me about your weddings. Just sayin'. :)

Meda White said...

My story is not as exciting as yours, but I eloped at the Little Mountain Chapel in Gatlinburg (a.k.a. Redneck Vegas). Hubba-luv and I decided to spend our money on a honeymoon to the Netherlands instead of a big wedding. Totally worth it. ;)

Brina Cary said...

AWWW!!! That sounds adorable, Meda!! Honestly, I think I would like a small wedding with a big trip after. That way it's a chance for us to celebrate, without family arguing. I have a feeling that mine will be the ones doing the most talking. :)

Ali Hubbard said...

Thank you for sharing that crazy story! I would've been scared to tell my parents too. Lol.

I love that you were in costume.

Brina Cary said...

Lol! It wasn't just any costume. It was this Lady Vampire costume that had little roses in the design. I felt like I was at prom, but that was only a year after prom... Figure it's close enough. :)

I still can't believe my brother ratted me out. I returned the favor though. I ratted him out when he was about to be a dad for the first time. :)

Aidee Ladnier said...

I remember Curt calling his parents after we eloped.

"Yeah, we're having a great vacation. We went to the aquarium, and we ate at the Chop House, and we got married, and then we saw the Pirate exhibit, and watched the sunset off the mountain, and played goofy golf--"

"Wait, did you say married?"