Monday, February 22, 2016

"Are you f---ing with me?" And other ways to accept a marriage proposal

"Are you f*#$ing with me?" Checking the ring to make sure it was real may have been gauche, but after the pranks he'd played on me in the past, I was not falling for the mack-daddy of practical jokes.

After three years of courtship and an ongoing game of "Sucker" where he'd fooled me more times than I could count, Jim had kneeled on one knee and asked me to marry him. His half-cocked grin threw up more caution flags that a pile-up at Talladega.

"Seriously, are you f*#$ing with me?" Why weren't there 24-hour jewelers? Or at home lie detector tests? Or truth serum sold at Publix? He was not going to take advantage of this girl's gullibility again. No sir. Not this time.

With a wink and jerk of his head toward the stairs he responded, "I could be if you'd hurry up and say yes, Miss-soon-to-be-Mrs. Potty Mouth."

He always loved my eloquent command of the English language.

And that is how I became engaged to my husband.  That is the real version of how it happened. Hand to God.  While there was a cleaner, more acceptable for prime time version that we shared with friends and family, my husband prefers the true tale. So do I.

Sometimes there are banana peels instead of rose petals. Not every romantic moment comes with violins as the soundtrack. In my life, they usually come with a laugh-track. Like my husband's conversation about chainsaws with our minister as I walked down the isle or how my husband knew I was "the one" because I quoted the Simpson's monorail song to him on our first date.

How about you? What funny romantic experiences have you had? What is the favorite story you've heard from friends and family about that perfect moment gone awry?

5 comments:

Aidee Ladnier said...

Great post! Sounds like you guys were made for each other. :)

When my husband went to get down on one knee I thought he'd tripped and grabbed him to help him back up. So much for his romantic proposal!

Heather said...

Aidee - that is an awesome story! Y'all were working as a team from the beginning, always helping each other :)

Meda White said...

Love your honest tale. Hubba-luv had planned a romantic proposal complete with a view of the Gulf of Mexico, white sand, and a waterfall in the background. What actually happened was...during our walk on the beach to the destination I knew nothing about, I got a butt cramp and refused to walk any farther. In my defense, we'd ridden about forty miles on our bikes that morning and I was having piriformis problems. I plopped down on a mound of dried seaweed to rest and the next thing I know, he's on a knee in front of me, proposing. Once I said yes, he told me how I'd thwarted his plans. Oops! ;)

Jillian said...

Love it!! Quirky, fun and original. AND so you!! :)

Heather said...

@Meda - that is an awesome story!

@Jillian - thank you!