Friday, January 15, 2016

The Emerald City

Being a published author is like being Dorthy going to the Emerald City. You want to get to that beautiful, magical place of having your wonderful story presented to the world.  You have to go through trials and detours that are scary with flying monkeys always trying to hold you back, but when you finally arrive, it takes your breath away. It's more than you ever imagined. You're fascinated by all of the exciting activity and how everyone is wanting to make your story pretty as possible.

And then you go to see the wizard (booksellers).  Still a little scary, but you know this is what you want and you're determined to show how brave you are. Then with a lot of clanging and smoke billowing, you find out the truth.


It's what is in you that makes you successful. Not all the hoopla or even the polishing, your writing is all that counts and will bring you to where you should be. So simple, yet so difficult.

So what movie would best represent your path and beyond to being published or any special goal in  your life?

~~~




Carla Swafford loves romance novels, action/adventure movies and men, and her books reflect that. She's married to her high school sweetheart and lives in Alabama.

Website: www.carlaswafford.com
Twitter:  @carlaswafford
Facebook: CarlaSwafford, Author
Amazon: Carla Swafford Books
Barnes & Noble: Carla Swafford Books

3 comments:

Suzanne Johnson said...

I think Wizard of Oz is a pretty good analogy for me, in a different way. Once I finally got to the shining city, I pulled back the curtain and found a little sour-faced man with a calculator, The Publisher, who sent me home to be with my dog Toto and perhaps pursue a career that was more lucrative, like housecleaning or birdcage lining (perhaps using the torn-out pages of my books). Sorry, I'm being a cold-eyed realist today! :-) And now I'll go and write, because I don't like housecleaning.

Carla Swafford said...

I say pull back another curtain, Suzanne. It's amazing how many are out there. Wait! You know that. You found two behind that first curtain. Pretend it's the Price is Right and choose another curtain. Or am I thinking Let's Make A Deal? LOL! :-) So many analogies. (And why is anal in that word?)

I'm with you about writing over housecleaning any day.

Suzanne Johnson said...

You're right--there are a lot of curtains out there!