Friday, December 11, 2015

Hat Trick, Power Play, and an Empty Net Goal

A few months ago, if you had asked me what the above meant, I would have thought you were talking about a new video game. For those who don't know, they are hockey terms.

You're probably wondering what is a nice southern girl doing becoming involved in a Yankee game.  Heck, there's rarely any ice in Alabama.

Well, first, a couple friends of mine mentioned that they had fallen in love with hockey. They talked about the Predators hockey team located in Nashville. Who knew? Just a hop and skip from north Alabama. *Mind blown* In fact, one is a billet parent (takes in an out-of-town teenage hockey player into her home) and her enthusiasm is contagious.

Then about a couple months or so, I listen to the audios of Sawyer Bennett's Cold Fury Hockey series. *sigh* Loved them! It caught my interest. Not just for the men, but some of things she brought up about the game. I can't pinpoint what, but anyway, I decided to check it out on TV and fell in love.

How in the hell do those big guys fall and get up so fast? Amazes me. So freaking limber! Hmmm...never mind.

So have you read a book or series that interested you in a sport? Or into checking out something you never thought about? I bet a lot of people got into BDSM after reading 50 Shades.

I have to add:  GOOD WRITERS AND GOOD STORIES INFLUENCE PEOPLE.

~~~~~~
Be sure to sign up for my newsletter. I'm giving away in a drawing 1 - $20 and 3 - $10 gift cards to four lucky subscribers. And Loveswept will be giving away a $20 gift card too. The information on how to win will be in the December 15 newsletter. Winners of my giveaways will be announced December 16 in my blog.


Click below for the meanings.

GO PREDATORS!

If you love outlaw biker books, my first one is due out February 16. Be sure to preorder.

6 comments:

Aidee Ladnier said...

Books definitely lead me down a rabbit hole. Especially historicals. I often read about a peripheral event in a book and then wonder about the actual event or people such as in Katherine by Anya Seton or One More Valentine by Anne Stuart.

Carla Swafford said...

Aidee, pre-Google days, I use to love pulling out a World Book Encyclopedia and read while watching historical movies. Next time you're at my house, you need to check out my study. I have tons of historical research books (purchased pre-Google days). :-)

robertsonreads said...

Good afternoon Carla,

I enjoy reading football thanks to Susan Elizabeth Phillips, baseball thanks to Kate Angell, and hockey thanks to Rachel Gibson. It's amazing what you can learn from reading romance books such as the terms that you mentioned and their meaning. I know in one of Rachel's books that it was mentioned that hockey players had natural rhythm and they made great dancers. I so enjoy discussions such as these and who, what and such. I've learned to be a better speller and understand the meaning of words thanks to the many years I've read. And, it really comes in handy playing Scrabble.

Ginger
aka robertsonreads

Carla Swafford said...

So right, Ginger. Everything you said. Smart lady.

I watched a little bit of football while reading SEP's Chicago Stars series. But I never admired their talent (I'm being a good girl and mean it) like I do for hockey players.

Louisa Cornell said...

I am a big fan of Anna Sugden's hockey player books for Harlequin - Go Ice Cats - and they have been most instructional in learning about the sport. I never read, but that I learn something. Therefore, I have no understanding of people who don't read. I can travel the world both in time and space. I can have every sort of adventure imaginable. And trust me, working at Walmart I NEED a break with Walmart reality, which resembles no reality known to man. Walmart is the store run by schizophrenic bullies, manned by down-trodden lunatics, and patronized by the denizens of the Jerry Springer's What Not to Wear show. American Horror Story has got NOTHING on Walmart.

And besides, when sports books make me want to learn about the characters I always end up finding a great calendar site. Did anyone see the French firemen's calendar. I am moving to Paris, baby! And setting my house on fire!

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, yes. You have the right idea about moving to Paris for that. Yum! And you certainly need a break from Wal-Fart. Here's to hoping your books hit it big soon! Hugs.