Monday, August 17, 2015

Please Quit Torturing Me!

Dear everyone on Facebook,
Please find the edit or delete button on your posts and use it.

Dear self-published authors,
Please find a critique partner, pay for a copy editor, or an educated beta reader.

Dear everyone who tweets or sends emails,
Please double check and think through what you're sending out in the world. Yes. We all make mistakes, but we can delete tweets, and emails . . . well, we're stuck with the consequences.

What the heck am I talking about? Misspellings and poor grammar. Sure, I mess up too, but like I mentioned, I usually can correct or delete.

Here are some reminders.

You're is You are.
Your is possessive.

Carla's is possessive.
Carlas is plural.

Other's is possessive.
Others is plural.          

All right is correct.
Alright is not.

The last one above, I saw in a recent commercial. Yes. I freaked out! A national commercial, folks!

An example of what I spotted on Facebook: "Treat each other much more gently."  It can't be much more. The word "more" is enough, but then again, it probably should read, "Treat each other gently." Then again, "Treat each other gentler" is more gently, but doesn't sound right. Read it out loud. That can help.

Just remember, whenever you repost memes, not only look at the grammar, but what and how it is being said.

What are some of your grammar pet peeves? And wish me a happy wedding anniversary.  It has been 41 years with my hubby. Yes. I was four.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carla Swafford loves romance novels, action/adventure movies and men, and her books reflect that. 

Look for me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, & Google+
February 2016, HIDDEN HEAT, A Brothers of Mayhem novel
Time Magazine, [Circle of Danger] ". . . involves deadly assassins, drug lords and doing it."
Action-Adventure-Romantic-Suspense

12 comments:

Aidee Ladnier said...

Happy Anniversary, Carla! I guess the "can has cheezburger" cat memes are on your list. But the "kittehs" are so cute!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

oh...such torture ;O)

Carla Swafford said...

So true, Author R. Mac Wheeler. Thanks for visiting.

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Aidee. EEEEEK!! You're a cruel woman!

Susan said...

I am right there with you on all of these!! Great post!

Nancee Cain said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! My worst mistakes when writing are lightning and lightening. I may need to quit writing "storm" scenes. lol I also find I have problems with in to versus into, and I have to think about affect and effect. My biggest pet peeve? When folks mix up lose and loose. And on a funny note, I work in the field of addiction and sometimes get tickled when co-workers write about a patient's "heroine" addiction.

Jillian said...

Amen!! I wish there was an edit button on twitter as I see errors and then I have to delete the whole thing! LOL - I always have thought faster than my hands can move- both in typing and handwriting so it's easy for me to make boo-boos. BUT I'm always properly repentant. :)

Alicia Coleman said...

My pet peeves are affect versus effect, your versus you're and too versus two or to. Happy Anniversary Carla!

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Susan.

Thank you, Nancee. Love that! Don't you wish that was their addiction? I'm more of a "hero" addiction (Not the sandwich. Wait...maybe that too). HA!

As long as you're repentant, Jillian. LOL!

Oh, affect and effect can be a difficult one. And I completely forgot too, to, and two. Yes. I'm amazed by the people who mix them up. Thank you, Alicia.

Ali Hubbard said...

I'm the worst when I swipe my phone. Lol. So I'm not talking about typos or autocorrect! But I'm with Nancee with lightning and lightening! None of the more common ones irritate me... it's the newer ones like "intensive purposes" vs. "intents and puposes." But I cut folks slack on social media... maybe not so much in a book!

Andrea Dalling said...

Spelling and grammar errors on the Internet don't bother me. Why? Because they prove that, contrary to popular belief, everyone CAN'T write. Those errors show that my skills are valuable. :)

Carla Swafford said...

The best part of that, Ali, is that you and Nancee are aware of it. So many people aren't.

And, Andrea, such a good point! Thank you for visiting!