Monday, August 10, 2015

Cover Models Are People Too


Warning: This post may spoil the fantasies you’ve had about cover models. Or it may make you fall in love with them a little more.
Being in the world of romance writing, on occasion, there’s an opportunity to see real life cover models up close and personal. I don’t mean in a creepy way, though I’ve heard some folks cross the line and make passes at the guys/gals who attend the conferences.
The few I’ve met have been very nice and attached (married or dating). They speak about their wives/girlfriends, kids and day jobs just like they’re everyday people. They are everyday people, most of whom have happened to stumble and fall into the world of modeling for romance novel covers.
Many of them start out in sports or the gym, maybe training for a fitness competition. In fact, many of their fan pages say “Fitness” or “Fitness Model” or “Athlete”. The next thing they know, they’re peeling their shirt off, donning a cowboy hat, and looking at the camera with bedroom eyes. Boom. There’s your cover shot.

 
In New Orleans, Author Reader Con (ARC) organizer V.A. Dold announced the Cover Model of the Year. Ani Saliasi is from Brooklyn and is active duty in the Air Force. Talk about a real life hero. And he’s just as sweet as he is good-looking. For more incredible views, check out his Facebook Page.
There were a few other models there, and the ones I spoke to were very nice. Don Allen is not shy, and from what I can tell, is best known for his cowboy covers. Derrick Meacham is a huge cut-up and has a warm, friendly personality. More than once, I heard about his kindness to persons with disabilities.
At RWA in New York, you may recall Kim Killion and Jennifer Jakes (The Killion Group and Hot Damn Designs) holding a mock photo shoot with model Harvey Stables. I first met him in Atlanta at Moonlight & Magnolias when he helped Pamela Mason and me lug heavy boxes of swag on and off a bell cart. Those muscles are for more than just looks.
Scott Nova was also at M&M that year, and while he seemed a bit shy, we had a nice conversation about my nephew competing in physique contests. That was how Scott got his start.
 
Speaking of...How do you like this handsome fellow on my new Southland Romance which is releasing this week? Meet Johnny Baker and Lacy Goodwin who’ll find when trouble hits hard, the only way to survive is to fight for love. For more, visit http://medawhite.com/fool-with-my-heart
Now that I’ve given you enough model links to time suck you into Facebook for the rest of the day, I’d love to know if you’ve ever met any romance cover models? Did they meet your expectations? Or did they disappoint?

8 comments:

Cara Dawn Jones said...

I've never met any of which I am aware. That Brock O'Hurn that Nancee Cain is always posting is pretty hot. And I've seen more authors posting the behind the scenes of their cover shoots which I like.

Carla Swafford said...

I've met Harvey at RT Booklovers convention in Kansas 2013. He and another model were walking by as me and a new buddy, Jordan Summers, were talking and people watching. We were there to sign books, but of course, no one was stopping. At least, not in front of me. Anyway, Harvey caught my eye (how couldn't he?) and I'll be honest, I was checking out his ass and he caught me. Being so shameless I smiled big, guessing that he would keep walking. But he didn't, he smiled back and turned around and said hi. Surprisingly, I didn't stutter (like I would usually do with good-looking men who are not my husband) and we talked. Before you know it, he came around the table and I was getting my picture taken with him. Such a nice fellow.

Cara Dawn Jones said...

LOL...Carla was checking out his ass. I just fell out in the floor.

Meda White said...

CD- you're right about Nancee's fellow. I didn't remember his name until you mentioned it, but he seems like such a sweetie.

Carla- LOL- Baby got back. I read a funny convo on FB today where a lady had never heard of Luke Bryan. In the comments, people talked about how he wears skin tight jeans and has no butt. They also mentioned a guy whose butt they admired and he got on there and posted a butt selfie -not a naked one, but a side view in his red drawers. Bubble butt. Deadlifts, squats and lunges are his friends. :D

Cara Dawn Jones said...

HAHAHA! Just google Luke Bryan's butt. Whew. Laid out.

Carla Swafford said...

Of course, Cara Dawn. I had already checked out his . . . chest. LOL! You thought I would say something else, didn't ya? LOL!

Meda White said...

OMG, CD- I just googled LB's booty and almost couldn't hit enter because he's my very distant cousin and it's creepy to look at his butt. All that booty shaking doesn't do it for me.

Carla- he does look like he does a pushup or two fairly frequently. LOL Props to the pecs. Not in a gross way though. :D

Ali Hubbard said...

Lolol at Carla and at googling. Great post. I have my faves. ....