Friday, July 17, 2015

The Story In The Details

In my latest book, HIDDEN HEAT, I had my heroine ride around on the back of a motorcycle, run through the woods, get shot and, of course, make out with the hero. And during all of that I realized she needed a purse. Really. How many women leave the house without some type of purse, backpack or wallet?

So I gave her a small backpack. That way she could hold onto the hero without worrying about losing her grip on her purse.

I don't remember including a purse for any of my other heroines. The idea came to me after having lunch with a bunch of nice ladies who are part of a book club called The Alabama Book Maniacs. They were talking about why don't you read about people going to the bathroom, doing laundry, having cramps, and taking the garbage out. I included putting on makeup. Would you say that 60% of women with jobs wear makeup every day? I do. (I said jobs because when I'm not working and not leaving the house, no make up for me. I give my skin a break.)

My explanation about the bathroom was that we mention them in books. We don't always see behind the closed door. In two of my books (CIRCLE OF DESIRE and CIRCLE OF DANGER), the heroine or hero go in alone and close the door. I rather not read about the gross stuff, but if they share a shower, I want details (CIRCLE OF DECEPTION). The laundry and garbage is boring unless there is sex on the washer or someone finds a body in the trash bin.

Back to the purse. So my heroine has the old, raggedly backpack, and it's mentioned mainly for her to carry a little cash and makeup. She wants to clean up at one point and look her best.

It stood to reason that I would include a purse anyway. I love them as much as I love shoes. So I though this would be the perfect time to share a few pictures of my favorites.

The first three pictures are of the same purse.  It's an emerald green and, yes, it's a carpet purse. I've had it for 42 years and it's nearly as pretty as the day I bought it. When hubby and I were newly married I use to sneak beer into concerts and other places using that purse.  Then when the girls were growing up, sodas and candy bars were taken into the movies.

Last year, I bought the poppy one for my trip to Alaska. I wanted something that could be slung over a shoulder, have several zippered compartments, and I didn't have to worry about getting it dirty. It's great for vacation trips. It even has a place for a water bottle on the side.


The next one (right) is my winter purse. I have a thing for animal print purses. The only drawback to this one is there are no outside pockets for easy access for keys or my mobile phone.

I'm going on a trip to New York City next week (hubby staying home and guarding the place). The one on the left will be my walking around, sightseeing purse. I don't want anything big and open that a hand can reach inside and steal my wallet. Plus it should be easy and hopefully not too dorky to wear the strap across my body.

Then there is my summer purse. I love the white changing to pink or the pink fading to white. Whichever way you see it, it's big and cumbersome at times, but it's great to carry loads of stuff to work (iPads, laptop, lunch, breakfast, etc.) and still look pretty. Pretty in pink. HA! Even the interior is pink. Plus it only needs a washcloth to wipe it off.

So tell us about your favorite purse AND what detail do you try to add to your books or like to see in books to make it more real?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carla Swafford loves romance novels, action/adventure movies and men, and her books reflect that. She has three romantic suspense novels with Avon Red and recently sold two hot motorcycle club novels to Loveswept. She’s married to her high school sweetheart and lives in Alabama. 


Look for me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, & Google+
February 2016, HIDDEN HEAT, A Brothers of Mayhem novel
Time Magazine, [Circle of Danger] ". . . involves deadly assassins, drug lords and doing it."
Action-Adventure-Romantic-Suspense

4 comments:

Susan said...

I love these purses!!! And I love your comment about not wanting to hear the gross stuff...but if there is a shower scene, then I am in! LOL! So true. I always struggle with how much "daily life" stuff to put in, so I usually wait for revision time!

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Susan. Like you, during revisions I add other stuff like them eating. LOL! Mercy, my characters would starve to death if I didn't. They may think they can live on love alone, but we know better. Well, anyone can look at me and tell I don't. HA!!

Ali Hubbard said...

It's a tough balance between reality and boring things for me. Lol. But I think some of the activities help readers connect. I've got a scene with a password problem because she can't remember what it is (like me all the time). Lol.
I love your purses. My daughter convinced me to buy a teal monogrammed purse, which I love.

Carla Swafford said...

I know what you mean, Ali. They say not to write down passwords and to make each one unique. WHAT?! Do they think everyone is a freaking genius? Not this lady. :-)