Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Did I do that murder right?

I wanted to do something a little different for this post… Something that may seem a little odd on the Romance Magician’s Blog… 

How many authors look at their stories and go “Did I do that murder right?” “Is this how a crime scene really looks?” “What do they look for when looking at the bones?” If you say a handful you would be wrong. Technology is rapidly changing and for a writer that’s the fun part. Researching all of the changes take time, and can cause an author to rip her/his hair out. In the end though, it makes a stronger story. It brings the reader in, so it can be enjoyed. So the reader can live in the author’s world. I have written before about the writer’s toolkit. This time I’m going to write about the Forensics’ toolkit.

In the world of Forensics there are many different paths that one can take. You have a Crime Scene Investigator, a chemist, a Forensic Anthropologist, etc. These are all vastly different paths; however, each one tells their own tale. Each one adds an important part to the story. Each one has their own story.

Years ago I was able, as part of a college class trip, to tour a Naval Criminal Investigative Services facility. Some of the coolest tools in the world reside their. One of the things that stuck out to me the most though, was that one person had one job. They had a person that would interrogate suspects, a person that would analyze items from a crime scene, etc. The Field Agent Afloat for my ship was my instructor. That was the first time that I learned just how important research could be.

Imagine as a reader you know exactly how all of the equipment works, but an author uses the wrong word. You’re stuck on that. You can’t move past it. The writer is supposed to learn, research, and add to their world by knowing yours. Now, imagine you are delving into the ever popular world of Forensic Anthropology. You are competing with the likes of Kathy Reichs, Lee Childs (yes, some of his work touches this), Kay Scarpetta, etc. These are big names to live up to. You want to do it right. First, learn the bones. Yes, all 270, which is how many bones we are born with. The human body loses bones as we age. Why? Because our bones fuse together over time. This makes Osteology extremely important.

Next, learn what all can be done with Forensic Anthropology. It’s an absolutely amazing field! New things are being learned as technology advances. Criminal Profilers, F.B.I. Agents, Forensic Pathologists, etc are all using forms of Forensic Anthropology. As technology advances they can tell you things like how old a person was, whether an injury occurred near death or years before, how tall a person was, long term obesity, potential pregnancy, possible cause of death, and so on. 

The general exam can give an overview of time of death, entrance wounds/exit wounds, and general appearance. For a Forensic Anthropologist though, the good stuff begins with bones that have been cleaned. In order to clean the bones they use detergents to clean, by boiling them. I can tell you that you never forget the smell of bones boiling. It sticks with you. Once the bones are clean though, you can see fracture patterns. This can give you an opportunity to look at what might have caused an injury, the force behind it, or the weight applied.

However, even with everything that can be determined from a set of remains… The evidence found is only as good as the first responders are. If they are careful with the crime scene then it will be easier for a review of the remains to be conducted. There’s a thought that we never leave something completely undisturbed. Upon going into a room/site you always take something and leave something behind. The same goes for a crime scene; therefore, it pays to be extra cognizant of this fact. Especially when writing scenes that detail your investigator without putting gloves on. That always makes me want to scream.

Keep in mind that the bones are the roadmap of someone’s life. It pays to respect their roadmap. As a writer that respect is just as important. Surround yourself with tools of the trade like bone manuals. In fact, the Human Bone Manual is one of the most important research manuals that you can purchase. 

Now, here’s a little tip. If you want to showcase bones from a war zone in your story, depending upon how long the war’s been going on, your remains might show striations upon the long bones as evidence to malnutrition. Or old healed fractures could showcase a survivor of domestic violence. Human Osteology can even show whether or not someone is who they are believed to be. For example, the famous mafia hit man that suffered a compound fracture of the femur as a child; however, the body being examined doesn’t show such a fracture… Then you might still have a hit man running around somewhere out there.

These are just a few things that can be examined in the course of a murder mystery or suspense thriller. A few aspects of each can even be tossed into other genres, mixed and matched until it’s a perfect storm of suspense and intrigue. While it’s important to tell the story as your characters want it told, it’s even more important to tell it where the readers are swept away by it.


Now, as a parting question. What is your favorite forensic character (any aspect of forensics) and why?

6 comments:

Ali Hubbard said...

I love this post and these items are definitely on my "need to learn more" list!

I love reading suspense too, even if I don't know the lingo. I guess I just always assume it's right. lol. But, there is a definitely a responsibility for an author to research. I sometimes struggle with the line of research vs fiction. But, I hope I'll get better at that with experience.

I really wanted to attend the "crime" workshops at RWA, but I NEEDED to attend the ones for craft. haha. Maybe next time.

I love the show Bones now. And remember loving Quincy when I was younger. Of course, Sherlock Holmes if he counts!!!!

Brina Cary said...

Thank you, Ali! I wanted to do a brief overview, but I was worried about potentially overwhelming anyone with information. :)

Suspense is great because there's so much that you can do. There's so many different avenues a story can take and the "bad guy" or gal can take on so many different forms. Readers place a great deal of trust in a writer for a good story, but it helps to make it more realistic for them. The terminology is fantastic though, when you think about it. Each item has it's own language. The linguistics can you tell you so much about a pursuit too!

The great news is that I'm doing a smaller version of my RWA presentation for our next meeting. Hopefully I won't get too nervous and not be able to articulate any of it. It should still be really interesting though! :)

I love Bones, even when I'm critiquing it. Haha! Also, Sherlock Holmes always counts! Deductive reasoning is the basis for all scientific experiments. Sherlock encompasses all forensic aspects, and makes it so much more interesting. I love watching the things they come up with, from the original Sherlock stories to the BBC version of Sherlock, and even the Elementary version. It's all so very fascinating!!

Meda White said...

I like iZombie b/c Liv eats their brains and gets glimpses of how they were killed. Very scientific. LOL

Brina Cary said...

Meda, that cracked me up!! Technically you could toss that in there... I mean you're examining the life of someone in a abstract sort of way. :)

Jillian said...

awesome post. I love this kind of thing. Took a number of classes in college but so much has changed since then. I need to get my hands on that book as well.

I loved Quincy like Ali said. It was a good show. I've been enjoying that show called FOREVER. Totally not realistic but enjoyable.

Brina Cary said...

Jillian, I haven't heard about Forever. What's it about?