Monday, March 23, 2015

How NOT to word a sponsored Facebook ad

We all have our pet peeves when it comes to advertisement. I'm pretty easy going, so not a lot bothers me. I figure people are doing the best they can. I also know I'll have my share of missteps, despite my best intentions and efforts.

BUT, there is one thing I cannot excuse when I see a sponsored Facebook post from an author.

THIS BOOK IS HOTTER THAN <insert most recent, bestselling steamy novel>.

THIS HERO IS BETTER THAN <insert most popular hero>.

THIS BOOK IS WRITTEN BETTER THAN <insert most recent, bestselling romance>.

I've read the comments under those Facebook ads. The majority don't see it as a problem. They will tag friends to take a look at the new book. But, there are definitely readers who are willing to state that they've read both books and they are not comparable.

Some readers feel like they should defend the author or book or hero being usurped. And that is not a good path. The last thing you want to do is offend the serious fans of a beloved author. Not because it's a bad business move, but because it's BAD!

It also comes across as riding that author's coattails. If a few authors strategize to cross-sell, that is a different situation, of course. Sidenote: I would love to read a book from one author which takes place in the world of another. Like when you were a kid and Laverne and Shirley made a guest appearance on Happy Days! Or, more recently when the Flash and Arrow have crossover episodes. Exponential goodness.  I digress....

Do you have any advertising pet peeves? Feel free to share!






4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Not really peeves, but I do roll my eyes.

On TV when they're selling one of those "specials" and say ONLY $49.95. Like that's a low price. They usually add, "WAIT! Order now and get double."

Years ago, I'll never forget an ad in an Avon (cosmetic company) magazine, they said "Genuine Faux Pearl Necklace." LOL! It's for real a fake!

Ali Hubbard said...

Haha! Carla, the genuine faux is great! So funny. I think I remember a gem advertisement stated like, "Genuine* Ruby." Genuine was the brand name.

Anything that tries to trick a consumer has a bitter taste.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Cari Hislop said...

I always feel embarrassed for the authors who end up with those better than selling statements on their books. I always presume with paperbacks it's the publisher's fault, but on line if it's the author who's concocting them...double cringe... As you say, putting down someone else' work to promote one's own is just wrong. A) Taste is subjective, but B) it's rude. It's so gradeschool! Mine's bigger than yours! I'm better than you! Look what I can do. They certainly never inspire me to buy a book. Another one I hate is the... "The Next (incept famous author of choice)..." Being a cynical wench I do occasionally look up the free pages for those just to have a laugh...because the books are NEVER as good (to me) as promoted. But of course it does come down to taste. I hope to never see those better than labels on anything I've written!!!

Ali Hubbard said...

Cari, I never thought of that before. lol. It does have that grade school feel to it...before you've conquered your emotions a bit.

And, yes, the "next grade author" is another one that just feels weird.

I didn't think of it as I was writing the post, but I will say that if a reputable blogger gives some advice, then it's just fine. I've seen several who will say, "if you like this book, then these books have a similar feel to them." Or something of that nature. But, a good blogger won't say something is BETTER. They may say they enjoyed something more or less, but that is subjective like you say. They are just trying to direct readers to books they might enjoy, based on books in that specific genre.

Thank you so much for stopping by!