Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Corny Jokes and Writing- March 4th

Today is March 4. In our family, we have a corny joke about this day and even have a contest of sorts to see who can say it first. My dad beat me today by sending me an email at 5:30 am- no fair that he gets up before me.


My paternal grandmother started this tradition. She died at age 60 of a brain tumor and would have been 99 tomorrow had she lived. I miss her still. She was wonderful and supportive and had you asked any of her grandkids or kids, each of us would have said we were her favorite. She just had a way about her that made each person she spoke to feel special and loved. Everyone should be blessed enough to have such a lady in their lives even if it's for a short time.


Her joke that continues after her death and in memory of her is:  "What's the date that soldiers hate?"


"March Fourth."


Yes, it's lame and silly but it's a fun family tradition for once a year.


I have, many times, used such real life silliness in my stories. I am a firm believed in drawing from what you know and experience to add authenticity to the work. The more real the fiction can sound, the better the journey for the reader. I haven't used this joke in a piece of fiction yet  but want to if I ever write another story with a military hero or heroine. I can totally see the heroine asking the hero this question and him giving her a look like she has three heads.


What kind of true to life things do you like to see when you read?

4 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

he he

Jillian said...

Thanks for laughing, R. Mac. Makes me feel not so all alone. Lol.

Aidee Ladnier said...

Love this joke. You must use it! My family still tells one of my late grandmother's jokes and it always leads to laughter. It's the best kind of memory.

Ali Hubbard said...

I love that! Gave me a good, morning laugh.

Both my grandmothers were softly rumored to be witches. Lots of superstitions and a broad variety of them (one was Italian and one was Scot). I'm sure some of that will make it into books at a future point.

And it gives you a chance, as an author, to feel that person again. Even though she may be gone. Words are gifts in many ways.