Monday, January 12, 2015

Love those trilogies/series!




I’ve been thinking a lot about why I love trilogies/series so much. I guess it’s an addiction of sorts. If I fall in love with a book, it means I’ve fallen in love with the characters, and once that happens, I never want to say goodbye. It means I’m willing to pay full price for those follow-up books. It means I’m willing to wait a full year or more to keep that relationship going, and wow, the wait is so bittersweet.

I’m currently finishing one trilogy and sniffling as I get ready to say goodbye. Which means I’m on the lookout for another amazing world with characters who fly off the page. Instead of looking on Goodreads for the million lists there, I’d like to ask my Romance Magicians young adult readers to help me out, because hey, they are the blog peeps I trust.

Below, I’ve named a few popular YA trilogies I’ve read and I've listed at least one reason why I enjoyed the books: 

  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:
    • A kick-ass heroine who knows how to shoot an arrow accurately. If you’ve ever tried using a bow and arrow, you understand my admiration for this one quality. That alone is enough to hook me. 
  •  Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling:
    • Who doesn’t want to be a wizard? Seriously, did anyone say no to that?
  • Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien:
    • TORTURED characters and a seriously awful end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it scenario. Yeah, must turn pages.
  • Legend by Marie Lu:
    • The two main characters run this show. Opposites yet so alike that you have to keep reading late into the night.
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth:
    • Very much captures that feeling of leaving home with the hope that you’ve chosen the right path. Some days I still feel like this.
  • The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare:
    • Nothing like finding out you belong to an elite group of people who kick serious butt. Oh, and who can’t relate to having a deadbeat dad/relative who turns out to be a bit psychotic. We’ve all got one somewhere in the family.
  • The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare:
    • The only love triangle ever written that had me stumped. I wanted everyone together at the end of this trilogy. I hope that doesn’t make me sound too kinky.
  • Slammed by Colleen Hoover:
    • Interesting premise of teens raising their siblings. Couldn’t resist.
  • Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles:
    • A wonderful example of how teen lives can be so much more than just high school. Nice and gritty.
  • Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry:
    • Such great examples of characters at that jumping off point between high school and college. Lots of personal family drama and yummy romance.

So that’s kind of my tastes. Any ideas? (And not Twilight please. I like paranormal, but for whatever reason, that one wasn’t for me.)

Thanks all!

6 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

Most of the YA or New A I've read you're probably already aware of, but I do have one new author you might enjoy. It is a series though only the first book is done.

Vanguard by H.J. Smith

I know the author (so one could assume I'm just being kind), but I was SO impressed. This is his first book. Henry wrote it when he was 17 (he's now 18). It's set in Post Apocalyptic England (chemical warfare has mutated all the plant and animal life - though thankfully not humans) and it's about these two young Airship men (there are no airplanes only helium air ships) who set out to earn a living and end up having all these adventures. It's a journey tale...but the characters develop as they experience life. I'm expecting a romantic interest to develop in the second book, but it's only vague in this first one. I don't know if he meant it to be funny (I did tell him this), but it made me laugh. The word flow...sounds exactly as he talks. I told him to hurry up with book two as one ends on a steep cliff hanger.

If you're interested I think it's only available on Amazon, but you don't get much more YA! ;)

Callie James said...

Thank you, Cari! Sounds very interesting. :) I'll check it out.

Meda White said...

Did you read Maze Runner by James Dashner? It's the first of the trilogy. I liked the first book, but when I started the second, I wasn't in a mental place where I could stand kids being mistreated. Had to put it down. Maybe one day I'll get back to it. The movie came out a few months ago.

Callie James said...

Maze Runner is on my list. I've heard mixed things about it. :) But definitely intend to get the first book. Thanks, Meda!

Ali Hubbard said...

I went through a YA dystopian phase a few years ago. Loved a lot of those, some of which you listed. Trisha Leigh's The Last Year Series. I remember Pearl Savage as the first in a series I really liked. THen, there was a Chronicles of 2020 (I need to see if the next is out yet. lol.)

In the paranormal world, I liked the Poison Princess (Kresley Cole's Arcana Chronicles). And Susan Ee World After. White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter.

But in general, I love series in any genre. Recently Colleen Hoover and Abbi Glines and Darynda Jones are must-reads.

Callie James said...

Thanks, Ali! Sounds great. I'll look these up for sure!