Friday, December 05, 2014

I'm Okay, You're Okay

So you're probably wondering what the heck is that?

Well, it's my Christmas tree in the study. Except for the lopsided angel, it's really pretty, even when you look at it from the outside. That neon green almost glows without lights. In a room each, I have a white tree and a regular green one. From the street, people passing by can see all three. They're so pretty.

What? Quit pointing. Oh, you want to know what's up with the body-less Santa Claus/Father Christmases? I love my Santa heads. When you place them in a big tree, they look like little Santas peeking out at you. Of course, on a little tree, they appear to be hunting trophies. HA!

They've creeped out my kids for years. And nowadays the grown kids just tease me about them. They can get over it.  Those suckers are here to stay. ::grin::

Besides, who can resist those precious little faces?

What does this have to do with writing?

I believe this proves what one person loves, another somewhere will hate. The same with books.

That's one of the hardest lessons authors have to learn. Not everyone will love your book. And you have to stick to your guns, hold up your head high and announce to the world, "I'm proud of what I've written." Hey, if you loved the story, (why else would you write it?), chances are thousands, if not millions (lucky duck) will love it too. That's the law of averages at play.

What about you? What do you love that your family and friends give you a hard time about? I promise we won't make fun of you . . . much.  LOL!

10 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

love the Santas

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Author R. Mac Wheeler. Appreciated.

Susan said...

Great advice!! I love the Santas, too!

Meda White said...

I love your Santa heads. So cute. My grandma had a big plastic one that I remember fondly from my youth. The saying, "Santa Clause is watching you" seemed very real, because he was. Always. Those painted little eyes would follow you around a room. :) I love exercise and my family looks at me like I have three heads.

Cari Hislop said...

I needed your post today! Thanks for that and for sharing pictures of those adorable heads. I've never seen any Christmas ornaments like those...where the heck have I been?

Something I love that others don't...could be a super long list...I'll be brave and start with my last finished book. I was updating my Good Read "Books Read" list earlier and I made the mistake of glancing at the stars (or non stars) given to my most recently finished Regency. I'll have to get up the nerve to read the reviews to find out why several people thought five years of work only deserved two stars...just not tonight (or maybe tomorrow)...maybe I'll wait until I'm older. In the meantime I'm determined to have a Merry Christmas. I'm planning to hang lots of Fortune Cookies on my tree this year (the good fortune being I'll be able to eat my Christmas ornaments come Jan 1st. ;)

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Susan! Some of the Santa have painted eyes but most have the color marble type. So detailed.

Carla Swafford said...

You know I love you, Meda. But I'm kinda with your family on that one. LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, Cari, GoodReads have a lot of mean spirited reviewers on there. Ignore them and enjoy your holiday. You deserve it. HUGS.

Cari Hislop said...

Thanks Carla! May your whole Christmas Season be filled with much merry laughter and kindnesses!!!

Ali Hubbard said...

I love those Santas!!!!! I also agree that at a certain point you just have to say your book will not be for everyone...and that's ok! Love your article title. I remember that book too. Tee hee. Think I read it while listening to John Lee Hooker.

One thing I love that NOBODY else in my family does...is science, from life science to physics. I don't mean math (egads, nay!). But, I really like learning how things work (although I have zero motor skills to accompany that so I become a less-funny Cliff from Cheers). I like genetics and theories on ueber-boring things.

Hey, wake up! You're starting to act like my family ;-)