Friday, November 07, 2014

Questioning...Well...Everything

From 11 Untranslatable Words from Other Cultures by Maptia 

No question about it--I'm a pochemuchka.

I've had teachers tell me not to raise my hand anymore. I've had family members roll their eyes. I've had shop clerks shake their heads and walk away. I'm a questioner.

I think that's why my family had not one but three separate sets of encyclopedias during my formative years. One Christmas I was even given my very own set!

I want to know those answers. I want to know everything about everything.

And I think that's a trait that, while annoying, makes me a better writer.

Questions make us think, make us wonder, make us plot new worlds. And those new worlds--those can be written about.
  • What if instead of losing land to the white settlers, the Native Americans managed to hold onto the center of the country due to large mechanical wings allowing them to swoop in and win battles against US Calvary?  -- instant Steampunk!
     
  • What if a teenager discovered she was the mouthpiece for the ghost of a local murdered woman, the only person who knew where the treasure was buried  -- Paranormal, anyone? Or maybe Suspense?
     
  • What if a lab assistant realized his boss wouldn't notice him borrowing the time machine during a long lunch break -- Futuristic Science Fiction!
     
  • What if a VIP at a horror convention ended up looking like the victim of the latest slasher flick -- who wants to solve a Mystery?
These are questions I've had. And they've led to  meeting wondrous characters, envisioning elaborate places, and plotting fantastical stories.

So keep up those questions! They're the engine that keeps your plot running!


====

AIDEE LADNIER is a writer who loves quirky characters. You can visit her website at http://www.aideeladnier.com or meet her at some of her favorite social media sites: 
Twitter  |  Tumblr  |  Pinterest  |  Facebook



4 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

This is SO true !! And I find that if my plot isn't quite up to snuff all I have to do is ask "Well, what if this happened?" "And how about this?" "No, wait! THIS!"

Of course there are times my hero and heroine want to say "Stop asking questions! We can't take much more of this!"

Cari Hislop said...

Questions Questions! I probably ask way too many, but I can't help it either. Sometimes one is struck with a need to know and one has to try and find the answer. I was taking an Art History class when I was struck by the Greek Key symbol on some pot being flashed across the screen and I raised my hand and asked what it meant (assuming it meant something) and the teacher just gave me an exasperated look and said, "I don't know." and carried on. About six or seven years later I was talking with someone and they brought up the meaning of the Greek Key symbol (which apparently means eternity) and it was like breathing in pure oxygen. I then had to ask myself why I hadn't gone and looked it up in the library (ofcourse this was pre internet). There's nothing like getting an answer to a nagging question! :)

Aidee Ladnier said...

So glad there are other questioners out there! I used to ask so many questions that my Sunday School teacher said if there were personal sections of Heaven, mine would be a library full of books with the answer to all my questions. ;)

Carla Swafford said...

I love questions! That what makes us write. Great post!