Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I'm a Fairy Tale Princess...and a Dreamer


I’m a fairy tale princess. You probably are, too. 
I’ve never been the girliest girl. Sure, I wear makeup and dresses, but I don’t do my nails or wear jewelry unless it’s a special occasion. When I was a little girl, I don’t think I ever wanted to grow up to be a princess. Of all of the Disney Princesses, there was only one I could relate to—the redhead with the pipes. I even played Ariel as entertainment for a pageant once.
One of the reasons I didn’t relate well to fairy tale princesses was because they always wanted something they seemingly couldn’t have. My parents always told me “If you can dream it, you can become it.” And I never doubted them.
In fairy tales, dreams come true. They can in real life as well. Even dreams we didn’t know we had.

A few years ago, I’d go to reader events and book signings as an unpublished writer, and I’d look at those authors who’d accomplished my dream. One day that will be me, I’d think.
One day is here for me. If you’re an author who isn’t there yet, hold onto your dream, and enjoy the journey. Those fairy tale princesses had wonderful adventures and made some special friends on their way to realizing their dreams, and they were rewarded with happily-ever-after.

My contemporary romance novel, Play With My Heart, has been nominated for a BTS Red Carpet Readers Choice Award.  When I began my journey, I didn’t know winning an award would be a dream of mine someday. Thank you to all of you who have supported me by voting for my book. If you haven’t, but would like to, please follow this link: http://btsemag.com/redcarpet/2014_ReadersChoice_Contemp.html

It just so happens that Play With My Heart has a fairy tale theme that runs throughout the story.
The heroine’s ex-husband says to her, “I don’t begrudge you a Cinderella at the ball evening, but fairy tales end…” ~Jason
At one point, Liz starts to believe him. But then, a dream she'd given up on comes to life and she gets her HEA.

This is what the hero says to her. “Liz, you are the one who made my fairy tale come true. You’ve fulfilled dreams I never had until I met you. This fairy tale doesn’t end.” ~Ian

To the aspiring authors of the world, dream big. To the published authors, dream bigger. Let’s touch the world with love and live our very own fairy tale, handsome princes included.
Did you ever dream of being a princess? Can you relate to any of them? Are you realizing your dreams?

3 comments:

Callie James said...

Wonderful post, Meda!

Never thought of being a princess or even having a fairy tale life. I just wanted normal. At age 45, I don't think I've found normal yet, but I'm getting closer. :)

Meda White said...

Thanks, Callie. Perhaps we can make our own normal. :)

Carla Swafford said...

I have a tiara and wear it often while writing. LOL!