The day after I posted my original post on Facebook the sales of the book that had gotten me down, took off, and it was with poignant clarity that I realized how true number 3 on my list really was.
Here is my advice if you want to be a writer:
1. Be prepared to feel elated one moment and despairing the next.
2. Be prepared to be told you are a creative genius in one moment and then the next that you don't have the amount of talent in your body to equal a grain of salt.
3. Be prepared for great sales days and days where you wonder if you will ever sell another book again.
4. Be prepared to work relentlessly, but love almost every single moment of it.
5. Be prepared to fight for your dream because I promise you someone will come along and suggest you get a real job.
6. Be prepared to get a second job to keep your dream alive
7. Be prepared to be your own worst enemy and somehow find the strength to send your book out to people despite the fear.
8. Be prepared to have someone write you and tell you that you got them through the hardest time in their life. (I promise it will happen) Then carry the utter joy and weight of that with you from that day forward every time you write.
9. Be prepared to be strong and resilient for only those two things can sustain you.
10. Be prepared to stay true to your vision or don't bother writing.
This list, as I said, is my opinion. Are you a writer or do you want to be a writer? If so, do you have things you would add to my list? Or if you are not a writer, maybe you have a list like this for you job or something important in your life. I'd love to hear about it! I'm giving away an ecopy of my September 29 release My Fair Duchess. And I'm also giving away an ecopy of my September 16 release From the Ballroom and Beyond. Two people will be chosen at random as winners. All you have to do is comment and leave your name and email. This giveaway will run through September 30!
For the month of September, Southern Magic celebrates their Readers Luncheon being held November 1 in Birmingham, AL. NYT bestselling author Sylvia Day is the keynote speaker. Come back and visit every day. Each post will be giving away a book or gift card! At the end of the blogfest, a grand prize winner of a Kindle Fire HD will be picked from everyone who comment during the month and be announced September 30.
To register for the luncheon, go to http://southernmagic.org/luncheon.html. Each attendee will receive a bag of books and author swag, sit at a table with one or two published authors, and opportunities to win baskets full of goodies.
Julie Johnstone is a best-selling author of Regency Romance and the author of a new urban fantasy/paranormal romance book. She’s been a voracious reader of books since she was a young girl. Her mother would tell you that as a child Julie had a rich fantasy life made up of many different make believe friends. As an adult, Julie is one of the lucky few who can say she is living the dream by working with her passion of creating worlds from her imagination. When Julie is not writing she is chasing her two precocious children around, cooking, reading or exercising. Julie loves to hear from her readers. You can send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or find her at www.juliejohnstoneauthor.com, or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/authorjuliejohnstone or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/juliejohnstoneauthor or at twitter @juliejohnstone.