Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Popcorn Is Not Just for the Movies by Christine Glover

Hi Everyone!

I'm thrilled to be part of the Southern Magic Romance Magician's Blog tour to help celebrate our upcoming 2014 Annual Readers' Luncheon in Birmingham, AL on Saturday, November 1st featuring keynote speaker and author Sylvia Day. Though this isn't my first time to attend the Southern Magic Luncheon, it is my first time to host a table as a debut published author. I think many of you know I've slogged in the unpublished trenches for a lot of years before I sold my first book THE MAVERICK'S RED HOT REUNION to Entangled Publishing. A dream come true! People ask me all the time what's changed since my debut novel released in June 2014. 

The answer? I've gotten busier and I'm no longer writing to please myself, I'm trying to please my amazing editor with brand new stories and my ultra revision skills. Okay, confession time: I am a Crapper Pantser Fixer Upper and that means I had better be good at revising because my first drafts are often just exploratory forays into a jungle of words that I hope will one day become a cohesive novel. 

So just for kicks and giggles, I shall give you an insider peek at my writing process as I try to build new stories:

1. I get a shiny new idea. This usually occurs when I'm stuck in the middle of writing another book and have reached the "I suck as a writer and no one will ever want to buy another one of my books again."

2. I stuff the idea into a notebook and park it. Then I force myself to continue working on the current project even thought I'm quite sure I won't ever get it fixed and no one will read it.

3. I battle the demons of doubt and despair with copious amounts of wine and chocolate. I know things are getting really bad if I decide to clean the commodes or reorganize my laundry room. 

4. I finish the first crappy draft and set it aside.

5. I celebrate with wine and chocolate. I avoid cleaning house. 

6. I bring out my shiny new idea and start playing with it. I develop characters who have first, middle, and last names. I figure out their birthdays and where they live. I learn about who they are and their backstories.

7. I build a Super Secret Pinterest board with pictures that I think represent the characters and the story. 

8. I write a teaser and a blurb and try to cobble together a synopsis. I send the really bad synopsis to a really good writer friend who is excellent at writing a synopsis and wait for her critique.

9. I dive in. I start writing. I enjoy the building of the story from the inside out. 

10. I write like there's no tomorrow, and then I reach a middle part and boom. I suck as a writer. Again. Another shiny new idea comes to the top of my brain. Once again I stuff it in a notebook and refocus my energy on the current disaster. I call it a Piece of Potential Counting on Revision Now. Popcorn! 

Yes, here the truth finally comes out. The process I use to build my stories can be distilled to one word: POPCORN. Just add heat (y'all know what I'm talking about right?) and watch it become a delicious story for readers.

This brings me to my question. What is your favorite flavor of popcorn and why? I'll be picking one lucky commentator to win a $5 Gift Card to Amazon or Barnes & Noble. 




Born in the Netherlands, Christine moved to Canada where she spent her formative years. Then she married her Texan Alpha Physicist, moved to the United States and she has lived both south and north of the Mason Dixon line. Now Christine resides in Alabama with her husband, two insane cats and her wonderful daughter. She enjoys finding the silly in the serious, making wine out of sour grapes, and giving people giggle fits along with heartfelt hugs. When she’s not writing, you can find her traveling the world, cooking gourmet food, and desperately seeking a corkscrew. Christine loves to meet new people. You can connect with here in the following ways:




My very first cover!
Corporate Maverick Zach Tanner returns to North Carolina to rebuild his dying friend's resort. He's got the money, the power, and the will to transform Sweetbriar Springs into a premier spa for the glamorous, but he doesn't count on the woman he once loved…and lost…to handle the construction contract. Zach thought he'd buried his desire for Kennedy five years ago. He was wrong, and now he’s determined to satisfy his craving... 

Construction company owner Kennedy Gibson is eager to restore Sweetbriar Springs, but when she realizes Zach is her new boss she's terrified he'll learn the truth about their breakup so long ago. She vowed never to hurt him again, but she can't deny the passion he reignites in her. She wants to believe she has a chance for a different future with him, but will her secret threaten to destroy their red-hot reunion?

THE MAVERICK'S RED HOT REUNION is available from these fine booksellers:

Amazon, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Kobo, iBooks, GoogleBooks, Barnes & Noble

12 comments:

Ali Hubbard said...

I can't tell you how happy I've been for you this year! As for popcorn? I'm all caramel toffee!

Naima Simone said...

LOL! You're so funny, Christine! And your process list looks awfully familiar. I love it! Popcorn. I luvs me some white cheese. Yuuuuummmm!

Charlotte said...

I'm not a typical writer; however I consider myself to be writer, short stories,poetry,children'stories,newspaper articles,songs,and stories published in books which include other oral histories. Usually I write my from my heart. I have a theory that the words come through me and not from me so I have a difficult time letting go or changing the original script. Though I know it can be made better by rewriting most of the time. There are those times when I feel (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)so I just give thanks to the greater power who sent those words through me. My musings are usually meant for my friends and family as gifts so I don't have the pressure to get it right. Maybe someday I'll try my pen at writing to be published and then I know it will be a whole new ballgame. Good luck and keep on popping.

Rita Bay said...

Congrats on your first publication, Christine. Each of my contract offers and release days have been as exciting as the first. Absolutely thrilling. As for popcorn, microwaved with extra butter.

Cari Hislop said...

Enjoyed reading your process! Dang those shiny ideas...they do seem to come at the most inconvenient moments. I once woke up at five in the morning and unknown characters started talking to each other in my head. So much for the WIP! I had to get up and start writing a new story...I didn't dare not! I didn't want the characters to keep talking to each other. It's bad enough hearing voices, but when they ignore you like you don't exist...that's annoying!

Popcorn! I don't know...my favorite might have to be hot fresh American movie popcorn. One of the most unhealthiest foods ever invented. Or carmel corn...either way...yummy!

Christine said...

Hi Ali: Thanks so much!! I love caramel toffee popped corn!!

Naima: I believe we are actually twins... really. Lord help us and our process! White cheese sounds uber yummy!

Charlotte: It's so hard to let go of our words. I say this as I am forced to cut 4000 from my novella to meet my publisher's new guideline. T'ain't easy at all :)

Hi Rita: I'm glad each publication and release date is exciting. That's the part that makes this writing gig fun!! And microwaved popcorn with extra butter ... mmmmmm decadent.

Cari: American Movie Popcorn. That sounds soooo good. My characters don't often vacate the building, but when they do it's tough to wrangle them back into my head. Good luck with wrangling yours!

Brina Cary said...

I'm a salted popcorn kinda gal. :)

I have a similar process, but I haven't written a synopsis yet. When it comes to writing my stories I jump around from part to part. Lol, I've been told it drives people nuts. In the end it's cohesive though. I add in segments that work for me.

On a sidenote: I'm amazed that you were able to cut so many words for your novella! Congrats! You're doing wonderful, Christine! I also can't wait to read your next story!

bn100 said...

cheese because it tastes good

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Christine said...

Hi Brina: Cutting words isn't easy, but it had to be done. Glad you are enjoying your process!! Mix and match and go for it all day long. And eat salted popcorn while you're at it.

Hey BN: Cheese popcorn sounds super yummy. :)

Brina Cary said...

I think one of the reasons that I enjoy switching around between scenes so much is that I have a bit of ADD. My mind is constantly moving, so it's hard for me to keep on track. Maybe too many years of multi-tasking. :) Unfortunately, it sometimes makes me seem rude. I swear I'm not trying to be, but it's hard to focus. :) I can hold ten conversations in one breath of air.


I do have a question for you though... I know some people base their characters on people they've come into contact with. Did you base your Maverick on one?

Christine said...

Hi there!! I have a winner based on Random.org!!! Ali Hubbard you've won a $5 GC to Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Break out the confetti!

:)

Shadow said...

lol love the process! Quit a job for you! I love how you work! Sounds fun! What an awesome way to connect with your characters. You have an inside/out connection with them. Thats fantastic! Thanks for sharing! And my favorite is the hot kind! I love a bit of sizzle! :)