Monday, August 11, 2014

DRAGON CON

I am forever searching out ways to promote my work and increase my understanding of the craft of writing. Attending events and conferences are excellent ways to associate yourself with other writers and learn from their experiences. And of course, it goes without saying, there's always the fun element. So, I've signed up for a little thing called Dragon Con at the end of this month in Atlanta.




At first I was going just for the experience. My big kid/ husband loves Dr Who and is going to see one of the doctors attending. Colin Baker was the sixth doctor for any of you who are fans.




















As I looked further into the line up for the weekend, I found there will be a couple of authors I'm familiar with, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Laurell K Hamilton with their own booths. Cool.













Next, I found a writing seminar program hosted by New York Times best selling author, Michael A Stackpole. There are actually sixteen hour long sessions on everything from plotting to social media to writing YA fiction. I have chosen ten one-hour classes spread over three days and will hopefully come away with a ton of useful info.

As for promoting myself, I've had T-shirts made and will be wearing my business cards in addition to handing them out to anyone interested.


Check out the flip side!! If anyone should want to scan my back with a smart phone, it will take them directly to my website. 


I have to say I'm excited about this trip. 
Anyone else attending?

6 comments:

Meda White said...

Dragon Con sounds awesome. I love that shirt, BTW. I hope you learn lots and have a great time.

Suzanne Johnson said...

I'll be interested in hearing your report after the fact. My editor's been trying to get me to go (on my own dime, of course) for years, but I didn't want to pay that much to hang out in a hotel room for three days since I'm not a big SFF fan. I've heard it is quite a spectacle, though, if you're into SFF and that whole culture. So give us a post-con report!

Aidee Ladnier said...

I had no idea they had so many writer-centric activities these days. I went to DragonCon way back in my college days when it was the stepchild to the bigger (and now defunct) Atlanta Fantasy Faire. I may have to rethink returning to my con-going roots. ;)

Larynn Ford said...

Thanks Meda! The shirt and others like it came from Vista Print.

Larynn Ford said...

I'm with you Suzanne! I not hard core SF. I agreed to go just to have a good time but when I saw there were writer classes, I was all in:)

I will absolutely share my experiences with y'all. Who knows maybe we'll all get together and go as a group next year:)

Larynn Ford said...

I was surprised to find the classes as well Aidee but jumped at the chance to sign up!