Wednesday, July 09, 2014

My Year Of Firsts

It has been a roller coaster of a ride getting my first stand-alone ebook, THE BREAK-IN, ready for publication and then releasing it last month. Now I'm deep in my first blog tour, traveling to different blogs, writing guest posts, and generally getting my name out in front of readers. (If you want to read more about that and sign up for my rafflecopter giveaway, check out my blog at http://www.aideeladnier.com/2014/07/now-on-tour-break-in.html.)

There have been terrifying moments like participating in my first Twitter Takeover with the publisher to tweet out to thousands of people--thousands of people who are apparently very invested in the Vampires vs. Zombies debate. And for the record, both vampires and zombies are dead. The real winner is Werewolves--because they can keep your feet warm on cold winter nights. And they're fuzzy.

The son of one of my giveaway
winners. He confiscated the robot
toy inside my prize package.
And there have been really great moments, too. No one warned me how wonderful it is to interact with someone who has read my stories and as a result given up their own personal time to help me promote my book. I've worked with so many blog owners and other authors who have selflessly given me space to write, forums to speak, and even online real estate where I can hang out my shingle. I feel like I owe each and every one of them a huge debt. Kelley Jefferson of Smut Book Junkie has been a rock during the whole process, helping me schedule and organize it. Love you, girl!

And through it all, I have to say a special thank you to my chapter mates at Southern Magic. I've only been a member for a little over a year, but I was welcomed from day one. Being able to run away once a month and be surrounded by other writers who can laugh over my awkward moments with me, as well as celebrate my triumphs, has meant everything.

I look back on joining Southern Magic as a defining moment in my life. I didn't start to actively think of myself as a writer when my first short story was published over a year ago. It was when I started coming to local Southern Magic meetings that I recognized a change within myself. I was stepping out and making a choice in my future by becoming part of a group who study the craft of writing, who practice the art of writing, and who live the life of writing. I am a better person for meeting all of you. And a better writer.

Thank you. <3
Aidee


====

AIDEE LADNIER is a writer who loves quirky characters. You can visit her website at http://www.aideeladnier.com or meet her at some of her favorite social media sites: 
Twitter  |  Tumblr  |  Pinterest  |  Facebook


6 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Congratulations, Aidee. We love having you as part of the chapter. Hugs.

Cari Hislop said...

It's so lovely to see people's dreams come true! Congratulations!!!

As for the Zombie /Vampire debate (I didn't know there was one), but I'm going to have to side with the Vampires...at least they don't have bits of flesh falling off (they might use you as a blood bank, but they won't eat your brains - I can spare blood, but not brains!). I have to admit I was not a werewolf fan at all until I discovered Krelsey Cole's Dark romances (where the mortal and immortal often pass on the street). I LOVE her werewolves (they're all Scottish and wolfish).

I'm warming to Zombies though. A few weeks ago a friend of mine recommended Becca Andre's The Final Formula which has magic, romance, Necromancers and Zombies etc. I have to admit I am now eagerly awaiting the third book (which will hopefully focus on my favorite character (who just happens to be dead, but still retaining his soul).

I'm off now to look up your book! :)

Aidee Ladnier said...

Thanks, Carla. It has meant so much to me to be a part of the chapter. :)

Aidee Ladnier said...

Cari, those are some seriously interesting book recommendations. I must go find them immediately!!!

Meda White said...

Great post, Aidee! I was glad when you joined Southern Magic too. You're so talented and I wish you all the best with your writing. :)

Aidee Ladnier said...

Thanks, Meda! It has been so wonderful becoming friends with you all. I love you all so much!