Monday, June 23, 2014

World Cup Fever

World Cup fever is burning in Casa de Leonard.  I've had a rough few months on the day job front (trials and arbitrations = no time for fun).  Being able to catch a few games has inspired and rejuvenated me (and it has nothing to do with the hotties on the field, I swear).

This got me to thinking about how some of my favorite romantic stories have sports themes running through them.  I'm not sure if it is my competitive spirit that makes the blending of sports and romance appeal to me, but when I started listing my favorite movies (Bull Durham, The Cutting Edge, Jerry Maguire, Tin Cup, and (of course) Bend it Like Beckham), I found a theme.

How about you?  Have a sports-themed romance you would like to recommend?

3 comments:

Aidee Ladnier said...

My favorite sports movie is a tie:

1. Mystery, Alaska with Russell Crowe, and Hank Azaria, and Mary McCormack caught in husband versus ex-boyfriend love triangle. Awesome hockey film. And really funny.

2. Men with Brooms with Paul Gross, Molly Parker, and Michelle Nolden. Guy trying to let go of ex-girlfriend discovers ex-girlfriend's little sister is a hottie. Curling doesn't get more exciting than this. Also pretty funny.

Can you tell I like humor with my sports movie?

Cari Hislop said...

I've never been a big sports fan (my competitive edge is very blunt - more like a new silver dollar than a razor blade). I think any story with engaging characters can draw one in, but if a story (sports or otherwise) keeps me too much on edge (and sports stories are all about maintaining the edge) I start to emotionally short circuit - like a blown fuze (that's probably why I'm not a big sports fan - I can't hack the suspense - who will win?). Pathetic I know! Saying that I did enjoy Blades of Glory (it makes me laugh).

To Aidee - your recommendations sound really good!

Carla Swafford said...

I would say NASCAR as that is my favorite sport. But oddly, I didn't read but a couple of the books Harlequin published a few years ago.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips's books with the football players was enjoyable, but I'm not a big American Football fan.

Geez, now I'm going to be kicked out of Alabama.