Friday, June 27, 2014

Games People Play

One thing about writers, we love to play games with our manuscripts and books. All the time on Facebook, I see people challenging each other to tell the top five things about their hero or go to page something and repeat.

Well, you guess it, we're playing one of those games. Yes. I'm cheating on my post today. Time caught up with me. This week has been extremely active between the evil day job and releasing a book. So let's play the current popular word game.

Go to your WIP, current book you're writing or reading (so the readers can play too). Stop on page 7, go to the 7th paragraph and write the next 7 sentences. Looking forward to reading yours.

 Okay, now for mine. I really and truly didn't plan it to stop here. It's karma, baby. Just plain karma.

 CIRCLE OF DISHONOR

 She felt like a sex-starved groupie drooling over the most exotic and probably dangerous man she'd ever seen. It didn't help that the last two weeks, halfway through the class, he always pulled off his shirt. Sweat looked good on his well-defined chest and abs, and the loose black pants he wore rode low, showing off his seriously cut body. He probably needed to be in shape to survive his world, if any of the rumors were true. A place she never thought a whole lot about before.

 At that moment, the object of her obsession picked up a towel and wiped sweat from his face. When his eyes opened above the white cloth, their gazes met.



Look for me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, & Google+
Time Magazine, ". . . involves deadly assassins, drug lords and doing it."
RT Book Reviews - 4-1/2 stars,"[A] dark, gritty story that will grab you by the throat and not let go."
                                         

7 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

I love your seven sentences! Must read more! ;)

My main WIP is in Scriveners and I can't figure out how to get the program to tell me the pages (I'm a techno idiot). So I went to Chapter 7...seven paragraphs down and the next seven sentences... (it's a Regency romance) The hero is known by his title (Finley)...

“Poisonous fish needn’t fear silver cutlery, though they may end up stuffed and hung on the wall as trophies, but those are the stupid fish. Clever fish can tell whether the bait is on a hook.”

“Touch√©! What would you use as bait Miss Sheffield…if you were trying to catch a fish?”

“I find angling a bore. When I want a fish I’ll go to the fish market and purchase one that doesn’t stink.”

His eyes narrowed before surreptitiously sniffing himself. Apparently satisfied with the result he continued, “Why settle for a dead fish when you might hook one with lively blue eyes and handsome fins?”
-

Now if I can find my brain and finish my WIP before hell becomes a tourist destination I'll be doing great!

Chris Bailey said...

I wish my WIP were that far along! There are still too many [figure this out] and [where are they?] notes to post for reading!

Louisa Cornell said...

Great excerpts Cari and Carla!! Here are the lines from page seven of my Christmas novella in progress.



"I think she means your little tryst in the conservatory." Delacroix waved off the man's offer of a drink. "You remember. Screaming? Pistols? A small fire?"

"These things are expected at house parties." He didn't ask Nicholas, simply handed him a glass and splashed a generous dose of brandy in it. With one booted ankle crossed over the other he propped an elbow on the mantel and raised his own glass to Elizabeth.

"She was the vicar's wife, Alex!" Use of one's given name indicated the "Little General" was in high dudgeon.

Winterbourne being Winterbourne ignored it."Well, it was Christmas."

Cari Hislop said...

Louisa - Love it! I can't wait to read the whole thing!!!

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Great analogy with the fish. :-) Thanks for playing along, Cari. Hugs.

Carla Swafford said...

Louisa, my goodness! Get published already!! I want your book on my iPad or a paper one in my grubby fat hands! Love it!

Carla Swafford said...

Chris, go ahead and pick 7 from anything of yours. We won't tell.