Monday, April 21, 2014

Are You A Fashion Outlaw?

Alicia Hunter Pace (Jean & Stephanie)
Easter was yesterday which sets our minds toward thinking of rebirth. Even if you aren’t religious (I am) thoughts turn to baby birds, blooming flowers, and a fresh wardrobe.

Ah, yes the wardrobe. Did you grow up with the seasonal fashion rules? I did. My mama laid down the law early on and I believed her. Given that we’ve had a cold spring, it hasn’t been hard to abide by the rules this year. I was in sweat pants and flannel pajamas last week. And I might be this week, too. Hard to tell.

But the years it has been 85 degrees weeks prior to Easter, the white sandals and straw purses always cried out, “It’s time! Come and get me!” And I’ve thought about it—hard. I’ve told myself those silly rules are passé.

Yet, I’ve never been able to bring myself to break those rules.

    The Seasonal Fashion Rules, According to My Mama
·    No white shoes, purses, pants, or skirts before Easter or after Labor Day.
(Except tennis shoes. Also, cream is acceptable. Cream wool pants are a staple.)
·    No straw hats or purses before Easter or after Labor Day.
·    No suede after Easter until Labor Day.
·    No velvet before Labor Day or after Valentine's Day.
How about you? Did your mama have rules?  Do you still keep them?

Give me a seasonal fashion rule that isn’t on my list for a chance to win an autographed copy of Scrimmage Gone South, where the heroine Tolly, would never break the rules!

Alicia Hunter Pace - Jean




6 comments:

bn100 said...

only wearing shorts in the Summer

don't follow any

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Pamela Mason said...

Oh I know these rules! And yes, they scream at me too, but I do wear white jeans with black tops in January if it's warm enough.

One rule I don't see here: patent leather for summer only.
Why?
I dunno.

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Hunter Pace said...

That only wearing shorts in summer makes sense but I have seen some wool shorts that are made to be worn with tights in the winter.

I am not saying that is a good plan but that would tempt me to break the rule. :-)

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Hunter Pace said...

Ohhhh, Pamela, that is a great one! My mama was hard on that one! Like you, I always wondered about it. It looks like black would be black and who would care if it was shiny? I can tell you for certain that my mama cared if it was shiny at the wrong time. She was also not a fan of socks with lace but that is probably a different blog. :-)

Louisa Cornell said...

I went to an all girls Baptist College for my undergrad degree. Honey, you haven't seen fashion rules until you see the ones we lived under - including a lady does not wear a dress without pantyhose. Period.

Gloves and hats were required when going to church.

No jeans to class. No jeans if you go off campus. No shorts in class. No shorts if you go off campus.

As a result, I very seldom if ever wear jeans to this day. I do not leave my property wearing shorts.

Of course, working at Walmart I see a WHOLE BUNCH of fashion don'ts!

Just because they make it in your size does NOT mean you need to wear it. And anything over a 32 or a B cup you'd better saddle those girls up and I do NOT mean in a tank top with a supposed built in bra.

Alicia--Jean said...

Louisa, You win! Email me at jhovey@pclnet.net with your physical address, and I will send you an autographed copy of Scrimmage Gone South.