Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Admiral Nelson, Pirates & Payin' It Forward!

"Jack, a door closes. What do you do?"

"That's easy, m'dear. I shamboozle it for the draperies, hoist myself onto the sill, take a swig of rum then dive out the window." Jack smacks his hands together and grins his charming half-smile as if to say, "And that's without any rum."

Struggling to get through a closed door isn't always easy, is it? When doors close, the suffocating effects within a room magnify making escape appear non-existent. Have you ever felt like all your options were gone?

I've been pondering this week. Most people know that when I ponder... metaphors happen. Nike has a saying I quote frequently, "Just do it." Today, I ask you to Nike swoosh, "Just go with it." (Meaning my pondering, of course! Pirate!)

Easter = rebirth, renewal, resurrection. Birds return to their nests, rebuild, and lay eggs. Animals venture out into the wild and bear young. Flowers bolt up from the earth to bloom a beautiful spectrum of color. On land, spring cleaning begins. At sea, and in a tavern near you, pirates pilfer their weasely guts out. ;)

Like you and me any given day of the week, pirates were once men and women who felt hemmed in by circumstances, blocked by doors that slammed shut on their dreams and goals. Escape took them away from rules and drab society to decks swabbed with grit and determination. The sea held the promise of adventure, new horizons, and the salty spray of the divine. No wonder pirates broke the chains of normalcy and put to sea in search of new beginnings. Nature's example proved that it could be done! Huzzah! 

A prime example of this kind of bravado resided in Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson, the founding member of my Nelson's Tea Series. In 1793, Calvi, Corsica, Nelson was wounded in his right eye. He refused medical attention in order to lead his men. As a result, he lost sight in that eye. In 1797, Santa Cruz, Tenrife, Canary Islands, the humerus bone in Nelson's right arm was shattered by a musketball. When his men tried to carry him to his surgeon, Thomas Eshelby, Nelson said, "Let me alone! I have got my legs left and one arm." While Eshelby prepared his surgical instruments, Nelson impatiently ordered, "The sooner it is off, the better." Within thirty minutes of the amputation of his right arm, Nelson resumed command of his men. 

If Admiral Nelson had the strength and fortitude to find another door/window in order to accomplish his goals in 1797 and eventually became the most celebrated Admiral in English history after both of those set-backs, we CAN do anything! 

History is filled with men and women whose dreams were redirected by an event or individual that created spiritual, physical, or intellectual beginnings far different than those they'd previously imagined. Jobs go away. People choose not to love or they pass away. Promising futures of the young are cut down. But life, magical, miraculous once we leave our mother's womb, defrosts blustery winter with the promising radiance of spring. 

Admiral Nelson experienced sea-sickness from a young Mid-shipman to Admiral of the White. Throughout his travails of recurring malaria and battle wounds, he found a way to succeed. Life always finds a way. You CAN always find a way. When you're stuck in a room without rum, be brave. Shamboozle it to the draperies and hoist yourself onto the sill. You WILL make it through that door/window. You WILL experience renewal of spirit, motivation, and empowerment when times are at their worst. You CAN achieve your dreams even when others try to pull you back.

"Never, never, never, never, never give up." ~ Winston Churchill

Pay it forward today. What quote, poem, advice sticks with you when times get rough, me hearties?

Blessings,
Katherine Bone
www.katherinebone.com








10 comments:

Debbie Mccreary said...

Thought to ponder for sure Kathryn

Meda White said...

For my high school graduation, a family friend gave me a little glass hinged trinket with an image of a cherub looking up at a rainbow. The words accompanying it are ones I took to heart.

"If you dream it, you can become it."

Ali Hubbard said...

Great post! I have several quotes, some from family and some from things I've seen (seriously, I will write a biography of my dad one day). Some are just things that were said, but made me think.

"A ship in port is safe. But that's not what ships are built for." I can't find consensus on who said this.

"May the best of your past, be the worst of your future."

"When you work for yourself, your boss can be a real S.O.B." via my dad who was self-employed and knew the nature of hard work.

Let me set the scene of my male cousin and me getting advice from our Italian grandfather before leaving for college. He goes in to talk to grandpa first and I expect some crazy-wise words because my gpa is AWESOME. He says, "iffa they want it...you give it to them." And promptly sends him out. The wise words for me when I go in the living room? "You! You keepa your pants up!"

So, this taught me...maybe you won't always get the advice you think you're going to get. AND, maybe you need to take advice with a grain of salt. And a smile. :-)

Emily Martens said...

"Life always finds a way. You CAN always find a way."

I loved this post! You cannot always control the things that happen to you, but your happiness and the way you choose to perceive circumstances are entirely up to you. You can redirect your life just by redirecting your thinking. No one like a rusty sea dog from the 1700's to teach that lesson! Fantastic.

robertsonreads said...

Hi Katherine,

What I've been told "God is not going to give me more than my shoulders can bear". And, "when one door closes, another will open".

I have found these to be true.

Thank you for your thought provoking post.

Ginger aka robertsonreads

Katherine Bone said...

Hi Debbie!!! (Wavin') Thanks for stopping by, m'lady!!!

Katherine Bone said...

"If you dream it, you can become it." Ooh, Meda! I love this one!!! (And pirates love trinkets, especially if they look shiny.) :)

Your great quote reminds me of one from Walt Disney, "All dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."

Katherine Bone said...

"A ship in port is safe. But that's not what ships are built for." Yes! Yes! Yes! Ali, I love this quote!

Here's the whole thing:

"A ship in port is safe,
but that's not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things." - Grace Hopper (I knew this one right away because I use it often!)

And Buahahahaha!!! Love your Italian Gpa!!! He knew what a young girl needed to hear. LOL! :D

Katherine Bone said...

"No one like a rusty sea dog from the 1700's to teach that lesson! Fantastic."

Emily, you are a girl after me own heart! You speaka me language!!! Woot!!!

Katherine Bone said...

Ginger, you mention one of the best quotes there is, especially when the going is rough. Thank you so much for adding this one! <3

I happened to hear a sermon on Easter Sunday that focused on one door closing and another one opening. After a funeral this week, several family issues to contend with, and the Sewol capsizing in South Korea with all those young, spirited youth on board, I began to ponder many things these past few days.

Here's another one: When there is a will, there is a way.