Monday, March 17, 2014

Getting Published: It's not about luck

Heather Ingram/Flickr
Getting published is not about luck. Now don’t roll your eyes at me. Really you're probably not going to get your book published because you find a leprechaun waiving a contract at the end of a rainbow.

Did you know...

the first Harry Potter book was rejected 12 times?

Anne of Green Gables was rejected 5 times?

E. E. Cummings’ collection No Thanks is dedicated to the 14 publishing houses that rejected it?

A Wrinkle in Time (one of my favorite books of all-time and a Newberry winner) was rejected at least 26 times?

These authors didn’t bank on luck. What got them published was PERSEVERANCE.



How can you persevere?

- Listen to constructive criticism without giving up what makes your story yours

- Take classes, read books, hone your craft

- Reach out to another publisher… or two… or 26

- NEVER STOP WRITING

Beth Revis, author of Across the Universe (another one of my favorites), talks about her perseverance in working toward the publication of her first book in this video. Watch it and be inspired:


So, on this St. Patrick’s Day, drink a green beer, kiss the Blarney Stone (or a willing, handsome Irishman), and get back to your story.



4 comments:

Alicia Coleman said...

Great advice Kerry. I'm posting these words to the wall in front of my computer. Thank you!

Louisa Cornell said...

Great post and all too true. The ones that get published are the ones that don't quit!

Ali Hubbard said...

Great post and reminds me of the old saying, "the harder I work, the luckier I am."

I didn't know about Wrinkle in Time, which was a childhood fave for me. I always think of my all-time favorite athlete, basketball great Michael Jordon...who was cut from his high school team!!!! And Walt Disney was told he "lacked imagination." People who deal with people need to have better instincts about, well, people. :-)

Heather said...

And don't forget that Kathryn Stockett's THE HELP was rejected 60 times. It is all about refusing to take no for an answer!