Friday, February 28, 2014

Wrangling Twitter and Facebook: There's an app for that....



When I’m writing I try to stay off Twitter so I can actually get some work done.  This does not always work but occasionally I have stayed off for a day or two.  Since I don’t want to completely drop of the earth I decided to try scheduling some Tweets. While I thought at first this might be a little too marketingish I got to thinking that reviews and retweets don't have to go out within seconds of me reading them.  In fact, if I wait and retweet them later in the day and entirely new set of eyes might see them. 


I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled onto Bufferapp but I am so glad that I did. Not only does Bufferapp schedule Tweets it also schedules Facebook posts.  So you can space things out during the day without overwhelming your followers tweet streams or timelines.  (I have my Facebook set up to Tweet for me. I have no idea how I did this and I can't seem to replicate it, so if anyone knows what I did, I'd love to hear from you.)


Bufferapp is crazy easy to use.  I installed it in my web browser and it gives me the option to Buffer a RT.




I just click the green button and it send it to my buffer.  The free account I have allows me to have ten tweets at a time in my queue.  I can go to my bufferapp dashboard and assign custom days and times for these Tweets.  Or just let buffer space them out for me.

I’ve also found it useful when I want to add a remark to RT.  I use Twitter in my web browser and I can’t figure out how to quote a RT.  If I buffer the Tweet, I can turn it into a quote, add my comments and share it immediately.  It will also automatically shorten any links in the tweet. 






I’ve used it more for RTs and quoting RTs than actually scheduling tweets.  But you can schedule tweets ahead of time and assign it a date and time.  

Another cool think it does is buffer an image.  If you right click on an image you want to share on Twitter or Facebook, you'll find an option to buffer the image.  It will pull it into a Facebook Post or a Tweet then you can either share immediately or let the buffer send it out later.

Bufferapp also offers you five suggested Tweets a day that usually involve social media marketing advice, quotes, and links for life hacks and positive articles.  I do check out the articles before I let them go out to my tweet stream.  I’ve learned so much in the past month just reading the suggested content buffer offers.  For example infographics will get more response than just plain graphics.  Or people are more likely to engage your tweet or Facebook post if you add an emoticon.  :D  is by far the most popular one.  I was using this one way before I found that out but it’s nice to know I got something right for a change. 


This is not a paid advertisement for the app, I promise.  I just so rarely run across something this useful that actually works better than I expected, I just had to tell someone about it.  You can find buffer app at www.bufferapp.com .  




Have you found a particular useful or fun website or app lately?




Lexxi Callahan writes contemporary romance set in the Deep South.  The first book in her Southern Style series was released in June 2013.  Book 2 is due in spring.  You will most likely find Lexxi on Twitter at @callahanlexxie 

4 comments:

Meda White said...

This app sounds really cool. I just broke down and got on Hootsuite. I like it b/c I can see everything (Twitter/FB/FB page) in one place, schedule posts, and edit retweets. I can also follow hashtags. There are some things it either doesn't do or I haven't figured out yet.

I've been trying to get more active on Twitter and one thing that has helped (which you're probably already doing) was to allow push notifications to my phone. They don't beep (cause I turned that off), but they light up and I can see a lot of activity. If something catches my eye, I hop one and check it out.

Last night while on Hootsuite, I checked out the #MyWANA stream and saw a post from Beth at Eat Sleep Writes saying she needed an author to interview for today. We didn't follow each other, but I replied asking for more info and then left for dinner. On the way, I got a notification that she replied and one thing led to another- today my interview is on her blog.

I love it when there's no plan and things still come together. Thanks for sharing about Buffer. I'm gonna check it out.

Arlene said...

I LOVE bufferapp! I upgraded to the AWESOME plan ($10/mo) so I can schedule unlimited tweets from multiple accounts. (Fool that I am, I have TWO active twitter accounts, one for author me and one for weight-loss blogger me.) It'll also let me add FB accounts and pages.

Aidee Ladnier said...

I haven't used Bufferapp yet. Thanks for the info! I love when technology can do the work for you.

Louisa Cornell said...

This sounds like an awesome bit of technology, especially for authors! Now all I have to do is figure it out! LOL

I just mastered Dropbox, and when I say mastered I mean "figured out how to get stuff in there so my critique partners can look at it."

There is so much to learn in this brave new world and it takes an old dinosaur like me a little time to get there, but my brontosaurus butt will catch up.

Thanks for posting this as it gives me some incentive to tackle a new bit of technology. One of my goals this year is to become more techno - savvy!