Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Fear of the Unknown

First, Happy New Year! Hope 2014 is going to be great one for all of us!

The past few years have brought so many changes. Some we’re happy about (acceptance of self-publishing) to some that we’re not (closing of book stores). I know I've read several authors I probably never would've picked up and many of those I’ll not read again. Not that their writing was sub-par but because their style of telling a story was not one I cared to read again.

In all of this, one thing I've been reminded of is how there are so many ways of telling a story.  

I’m mainly a third person type of gal. In other words, I love to read and write books in third person (most fiction are written by using “she” and “he”). Of course, there are pluses to first person (written as “I”). You get a more personal close up of the narrator. A drawback is that she can’t know or see anything that didn't involve her participation. Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series is typical of first person. Great series, but limited in view.

The books that blew me away this year is the Beautiful series from the writing team of Christina Lauren. The two ladies wrote a world I've never been interested in: Big City living (they start out in Chicago and then move to New York City). So it has to be some fancy writing to grab my attention. Each chapter is switched out between the heroine and hero, and they did great on the male POV. Anyway, this post isn't a book review, but I just wanted to point out how when you think you've seen or read it all, something can pop up and show you that you still have much to learn.

So in 2014, I will be increasing my craft studies and learning new techniques in writing. So if you have a book to suggest, let me know. Chances are that I have it, but you never know.

Don’t you love how someone’s writing can motivate you?

P.S.  Oh, get Beautiful Stranger in audio. OMG! The guy’s voice is awesome, if you like English accents.

Carla Swafford's a third generation storyteller and is married to her high sweetheart. 
CIRCLE OF DESIRE  ". . .  trip to bedroom may be as dangerous as a gunfight." 4-1/2 stars RT Magazine
CIRCLE OF DANGER ". . . involves deadly assassins, drug lords and doing it." Time Magazine.
CIRCLE OF DECEPTION "Abby & Rex smolder and BURN up the pages . . ." Mmmi Musings
You can find out more about Carla's books at www.carlaswafford.com. 

2 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

It is indeed a brave new world out there, Carla. Like you I have read some authors I might not have tried otherwise. Unfortunately, many of them, while working with great story ideas, failed to communicate their stories in as polished and enthralling a way as possible. While there are certainly enough classes out there at conferences and online on the subject of self-publishing, I try to take two classes on writing craft to every one on this new world of publishing. There is more to publishing than getting it out there early and often. The most important thing to remember is to get it out there when it is ready and when it is GOOD !

Carla Swafford said...

True. Some I've read or tried to read that needed work.

Craft is way more important.