Monday, November 18, 2013

Thankful for Writing Groups


It’s the time of year when we acknowledge what we’re thankful for. I’m thankful for the friends I’ve made and the knowledge I’ve gleaned from my writing groups.
It all began in 2012 when I joined Romance Writers of America. Shortly after, I found the local chapter, Southern Magic. I remember walking into my first meeting with a ball of anxiety in the pit of my stomach. Would they call me a fraud? Make me prove I could write? Send me packing with my tail tucked between my legs?
None of those things happened. They welcomed me with open arms and it was the first of many times I’ve been amazed at the humility of published authors. They were once where I am and are willing to help me achieve my dreams of publication.
Next, I joined Georgia Romance Writers since I’m a homegrown Georgia girl myself. I haven’t been able to attend many of their meetings, but I’ve met some genuinely kind and helpful people through that chapter.
Over the summer, at Nationals, I joined the online chapter of Contemporary Romance Writers. Once again, I’ve made virtual friends in the online community who support each other and share their expertise about the genre in which I write.
I’ve hooked up with some awesome Facebook groups, Marie Force’s self-pub loop, and most recently, I found the #MyWANA group on Twitter via Kristen Lamb’s blog. WANA stands for We Are Not Alone.
Writing can be solitary, but I have so many places to connect with other writers I don’t feel so alone anymore. I'm very thankful for the friends I've made on my writing journey.

Do you have a person or group you’re thankful for this season?

 

11 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I agree with you, Meda. There are a lot of giving and amazing people who give their time and energy to helping others to achieve their goals. I know I never could've made it as far as I have without them.

Meda White said...

You're one of them, Carla. I'm thankful for you.

Carla Swafford said...

Aww! Thanks, Meda. We're so lucky to have you as part of our group. Hugs.

Kat Jones said...

You are absolutely right! I am so thankful for my writers' group that puts up with my craziness monthly! And since joining Southern Magic I have met some fantastic people! I have learned so much about the craft, the business, etc. through both my writers' group & SM. And, for me, most importantly, it's nice to talk to people that understand writing can be hard! For that, I am very thankful!! :)

Meda White said...

Well said, Kat. Some days are harder than others. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Carla. You make me smile.

Chris Bailey said...

The encouragement from Southern Magic members is wonderful. I've been so inspired by all the authors I've met!

Julie Johnstone said...

Media,
I'm very thankful for my writing friends! You are so right that writing can be very solitary at times, but if you have great critique partners and writing buddies, it can also be so much fun to hang out with your gals! Hopefully, in 2014, I'll get to do more of this!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Ditto here! Through the various online groups--and this chapter, especially--I've greatly expanded the list of people I consider friends. Not only that, but really nice people who understand what it is I do :-)

Katherine Bone said...

Meda, I agree! Finding people who think like you do is one of the best things in the world. I know, without my writing groups and friends made via these groups, my writing world would be a very lonely place. (Except for the voices in my head... and Jack, of course!)

Susan Reynolds said...

I agree, Meda! I'm so glad to have met so many wonderful people in this group!

Tina B said...

I think that is wonderful!
I love the romance community, though I am not a writer or blogger. All of the people that I have met so far, whether it be online or in person, have been so nice and helpful. :)