Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Two, Four, Six, Eight, Your Writing Is Going Great!

Next week my writing group meets.  And, though we've been together for several years now and they are an awesome inspiring group, I still find it difficult to submit excerpts to them. Despite the mutual understanding that its a rough draft, its still difficult to share the words I've labored over.  Its the fear of showing my work.
    
Yet, I know there are no better cheerleaders in my corner than my writing group!  So I will clamp down the fear (and try to remember that I am my harshest critic) and hit send on that revised chapter this week.  Because, truth told, everyone needs cheerleaders!

Are you fearful of showing your work?  If so, how do you snuff it out to gain the benefit of your cheerleaders? 

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I use contests. Expensive but I feel that it's anonymous and less chance that someone will hold back, not wanting to hurt my feelings. :-)

But if you a group of people you can trust, that's great.

M.V.Freeman said...

It's hard to show one's work but eventually I do.

I have a group of Betas and few CP's I trust, but it took me years to find!

Chris Bailey said...

I'm half fearful and half, hey, whatever, it can't be any worse than unexplained rejection! The trick to writing group sessions is figuring out what the comments really mean, because the comments are influenced by both the quality of the work and the experience of the commenters. Everybody's learning. And your group loves you for daring to learn with them!