Friday, October 04, 2013

Is Romantic Suspense Dead?

When I got my RT Book Reviews the other day, I scanned the book review sections, mainly to see who is publishing what. One of the things I noticed was the small and I mean small section for Romantic Suspense. It amazes me how quickly a genre can almost disappear.

First, I would like to mention how I also noticed how large the Erotica section is now. If you read some of the blurbs, you will realize that many of the Erotica books are also romantic suspense. I noticed because my last two books were placed under Erotica because they were released under Avon Red. My books are hot but not erotica. If you read them, you would agree. There is a difference between erotica and just good ol' hot books.

Anyway, general contemporary appears to be growing in popularity. I'm all for that. Historical Romance is going strong though I wish there were more Medieval (not Scottish) stories. I see more westerns. That makes me happy.

Oh, I lost track. Back to Romantic Suspense. No. I don't think it's dead, but it's time for it to change. I like to think my type of RS is ahead of its time. (Think James Bond adventures, not Criminal Minds gruesomeness.)

What type of genres/story-lines would you like to see more of?

4 comments:

Martha Lawson said...

Romantic suspense is my first love. Now don't get me wrong, I love contemporaries, historicals and paranormals. I don't care for erotic romances (the bdsm variety and more than 1 partner!)! I'm getting tired of looking at all the erotic covers that look basically the same. Romantic suspense can't be dying!!

Carla Swafford said...

Martha, they keep saying RS is dying, but some of us are hanging on. Barely.

Steph F. said...

I like RS but I especially love the Paranormal Romantic Suspense. I've read a few that had supernatural aspects but focused a lot on the mystery and action of the storyline and was really steamy. Historical's and Steampunk are my other favorites.

Louisa Cornell said...

I have a feeling the erotica craze will eventually burn itself out. It is getting to the point most of them are pretty much the same and many of the THOUSANDS on Amazon are poorly written with very little plot and no suspense!

Romantic suspense, the smokin' hot kind, will never die. You can only spend so much time in bed! And people want to be kept guessing. It may be taking a different direction, but I think it is still very viable! All of this goes in cycles. And as soon as someone comes out of nowhere and makes a bundle everyone else suddenly finds their muse channeling fifty shades of "writing to the trend." B-O-R-I-N-G. And a writer who writes for that reason can be detected a mile away by a discerning reader.