Friday, September 20, 2013

Misty the bloodhound and Can’t Help Falling in Love by Cheryl Harper

I’m one of those people: a true-blue dog person. I grew up in a house with beagles. I believe Jake was intended to be a hunting dog, but once I begged long and hard to move them into the house, JJ (or Jake Junior) and Pepper (because we discovered how I struggle to name things) became lap dogs. While I love most fuzzy creatures, I’m a sucker for dogs. As soon as I moved into my first apartment, I adopted a rescue from the local Humane Society. This was not what you’d call a wise decision at twenty-three, but for fourteen years Darcy was a blessing through some really tough times. And I still miss her, even though my current dog Jack, rescued from the middle of the road while he was carrying every pest known to man, is both comic relief and chief encourager. He refuses to accessorize like Misty.

Misty the bloodhound and her owner Willodean Jackson are what make the Rock’n’Rolla Hotel, the setting for Can’t Help Falling in Love, special. Sure, there’s some Elvis, but the two of them make the hotel a home for people who really need it. Undercover hotel heiress Randa Whitmore and tough-guy manager Tony Ortega don’t quite trust each other, but they both love Misty. Would you like to meet her?

EXCERPT
Sam nodded as she waved and she stopped to absorb the lobby of the Rock'n'Rolla. It was green. Really, really green. And not like green paint or carpet. Green like the rainforest. Plants exploded along one wall of the lobby and she could hear the faint trickle of a waterfall. Heavy wood chairs were scattered around and the floors and walls were some kind of natural stone. What she could see of them. She could feel the cool stone through her shoes and she wanted to sigh with relief.
But she was distracted because right in the middle of the lobby floor was what appeared to be a dead dog. Well, not dead, but surely dead to the world. Every now and then the loose lips would twitch. Randa approached it carefully because while she loved dogs, she didn't really have much practical experience. Dogs didn't work with the all-white, all-designer, all-expensive Whitmore design aesthetic. Her mother had told her that often enough. Eventually, Randa had stopped asking.
Randa squatted and teetered on her four-inch heels for a minute before she reached out to pet the dog’s long, silky brown ears. Little green bows fluttered as the dog drowsily stretched and moved closer to her. She knew she was wearing a stupid grin, but the softness of his—no, her droopy ears—and the satisfied "hmph" she let out before she went back to sleep were reasons to smile. Randa didn't care who saw it.

For a chance to win Can’t Help Falling in Love, leave a comment to let me know about your favorite pet. And for more chances to win this book or Stuck on You, the first full-length story set at the Rock'n'Rolla hotel, visit http://cherylharperbooks.com for a list of other blog giveaways and information on the final Rock'n'Rolla Hotel book, Santa, Bring My Baby Back, coming in December.

Rafflecopter HTML:

And  a link if needed:
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/share-code/N2VkYjg5ODVkZGI5MzY2ODhhYTgwMmJjNDEzMzA5OjU=/

BOOK INFO:
The staff of Cheryl Harper’s Elvis-themed Rock’n'Rolla Hotel are back with a funny, fresh romance
that goes undercover—under the covers!

As a former Marine, hotel manager Tony Ortega has plenty of experience assessing threats, and the hotel’s newest guest, Randa Whitmore, is a code red. Tall, blonde, and with legs for miles, she may look like his every fantasy, but he knows she’s not really visiting for the famed Elvis Week. Though dangerously drawn to his new guest, Tony will do anything to protect his job . . . especially if it means sleeping with the enemy.

Business strategist Randa Whitmore never meant to be undercover in Memphis. In August. Sweating her expensive spa treatments away. But snagging another perfect hotel location for her father’s empire means using all the tricks in her designer arsenal. And even though the sexy, tattooed manager seems oblivious to her charms, Randa’s prepared to bring out the big guns—just so long as she can stay objective and out of Tony’s muscled arms. After all, it’s just business, right?

AUTHOR INFO:
Whether she's writing, reading, or just checking the items off of her daily to-do list, Cheryl Harper loves her romance mixed with a little laughter. When she's not working, you will find her ignoring housework, cursing yard work, and spending way too much time with a television remote in her hand.

Web: http://cherylharperbooks.com
Twitter: @CherylHarperBks
Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/


9 comments:

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Cheryl!
I'm a dog-lover, too! And Misty--in real life ad in Can't Help Falling in Love--sounds adorable. I love the description of her in the excerpt. I haven't read Can't Help Falling in Love yet, but I did read the blurb and found the book at Amazon, and it's now on top of my TBR pile. Thanks so much for taking part in the SM Blog Blast!

Louisa Cornell said...

Oh I am SO adding this to my TBR stack! Everyone who knows me knows I am a huge dog fan. My current long, floppy eared flame is Boudreaux, my ten year old rescued basset hound. I can't pick a favorite of my current canine companions. One of my very favorite pets currently waiting for me on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge is Otis - half bloodhound, half black lab and all good ole boy. He loved to chase frisbees, steal pizza whenever he got the chance and drooled on the cats because he loved them so much.

Can't wait to read the book!

Shadow said...

Hi! Your pup is adorable! And your book sounds awesome! Ill be checking that out in just a sec! Im a huge animal lover. Growing up, my siblings and i were always bringing home some poor stray. I cant really say i have a favorite. They all have a special place in my heart. Right now, im at 5 dogs and 2 cats. The funny part is what my dad names them. He hated it when we brought home animals. lol Some names: Shouldn't Of, Evicted, Homeless, Hell No, etc. Thanks for sharing! :)

Cheryl Harper said...

Naima, I hope you enjoy it!

Louisa, please do! And I hope you enjoy it. Boudreaux is such a great name for a Basset! And Otis sounds like he was a sweetheart.

Cheryl Harper said...

Shadow, thanks for leaving a comment! I love rescues!

bn100 said...

Cute pic. No fav pet

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Rena B said...

I love dogs!!!

donnas said...

Im a cat person, but I love dogs too.

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Cheryl, for visiting with us!