Thursday, September 26, 2013

Love Bites...Good Song, Too...

When I was younger, I wrote in my diary about how Eugene Dudley looked at me across a dinner of hamburger patties and corn at our after school program. And when he aimed the ball directly toward me during our evening kickball game just so I could catch it. Not Tammy Taylor. Me. Never mind that my sister would pick the lock on said diary and write her own opinions of my observations, I knew he had feelings for me. Or in the eighth grade when Michael Myler stole my language arts workbook and drew pictures of penises and “NKOTB Sucks!” in it. Sigh. It was just his singular way of articulating his love for me. Or in college when Tony Oh-My-God-You-Look-Just-Like-the-Guy-From-Bone-Thugs-‘n-Harmony asked me to braid his hair, I read between the lines. He wanted me…maybe not after he had to jump out of my dorm room window when the hair-braiding session ran a little long, and he landed face first in the mud… But before that? Oh yeah, we were meant for each other.


With some distance—and a degree in Psychology—I can tell these were definitely cases of grand, all-consuming love…on my part. But for Eugene, Michael and Tony? Hmmm. Not so much. Ah the pains of unrequited love. But also the joys. It’s that heart-pounding euphoria when you catch just a glimpse of him or—dear God!—he smiles at you or give you a friendly shoulder bump. Is it any wonder this is one of my favorite tropes? I’ve used the friends-to-lovers trope in a couple of my books--Bargain with the Beast from Ellora's Cave Publishing and Secrets and Sins: Gabriel from Entangled Publishing. But those endings emulate how I would’ve written my own real-life experiences. There’s the joyous discovery of friendship evolving into love, and the startling revelation that a perfect half was there all along waiting to be completed. And oh yes! Lotsa hot sex! Can’t forget that…

So here’re some famous couples who’ve bitten the bitter fruit of love unreciprocated. Well actually it tastes more like chicken…

Charlie Brown and that Little Redhead Girl – Apparently the Lil’ Redhead Girl doesn’t appreciate a man with a ginormous, uh, brain. Charlie Brown should just give it up and get with Peppermint Patty. Althooough, me thinks there’s a tad bit of ambiguity there…

Cyrano de Bergerac and Roxane – Cyrano should’ve went for it. He might’ve found Roxane would’ve loved him for his soul like she did Christian at the end. Worst case scenario, she rejected him, and he could’ve bopped her in the head with his nose.

The Little Mermaid and the Prince – Don’t get me started. She saved the prince’s life, was his dedicated companion, danced for him because it lightened his heart, even though every step was like daggers stabbing her feet. She gave up her family and voice. And this ingrate went and married some other chick who just showed up? I would’ve knifed him, got my tail back and hooked up with the first merman I swam into. Hmm…I see a storyline in my future…

Jacob and Bella – Jacob loved Bella but she fell for Edward, the sensitive, I’ll-tear-that-headboard-up vampire. So instead of just hooking up with another werewolf he bonds himself to Bella and Edwards’s offspring…That’s just a little bit creepy, dude. It’s like he said, I’d rather have half of Bella than none of her. Thing is, the other half is Edward. So that’s like the weirdest ménage ever!

And last but not least…

Me and Vin Diesel – Although I wouldn’t really call this unrequited because Vin does love me, he just can’t afford to let the world know because of his situation and my situation… So it’s just best if we keep our relationship on the DL…

Oh shoot! I gotta go now. For some reason there’s a sheriff with a restraining order at my door… I wonder whatever for…

But wait, before I’m outta here, I’m giving away any book from my Booklist to 2 commentors! I’ll randomly choose 2 winners on September 30th from anyone who leaves a comment about your own crush who ignored you or your favorite fiction or real life unrequited love couple! I think it’s only fair since I spilled my guts about the heaping amount of rejection in my young—emphasis on young—life! So go on! Dish! 

Also, don’t forget that every comment gains you another entry toward the grand prize at the end of the Blog Blast. The KINDLE FIRE HD! *Whoooo* *Ahhhhh*

 And the reason behind this whole hullabaloo? The Southern Magic Reader’s Luncheon!! With keynote speaker—wait for it, waaaiit for it—Jeaniene Frost! Oh my Lamb, yes! The Jeaniene Frost! Oh crap I see another restraining order in my future that will require my table to be at least one hundred feet away from hers…

***Details!***

What? Southern Magic Reader’s Luncheon 
When?  November 2, 2012
Who? NYT Bestselling author Jeaniene Frost as the keynote speaker, and NYT Bestselling author Christy Reece as the welcome speaker
Where? The Harbert Center, 2019 4th Ave. N., Birmingham, AL 35203
Doors open at 11 AM. Handicap accessible and Parking is Free (across from the center)
How much? TICKETS:  $31.50 for non-members, $25.50 for members of Southern Magic. Please fill out the form and pay via PAYPAL at http://www.southernmagic.org/luncheon.html

18 comments:

Rashda Khan said...

OMG, I loved this post! As always Naima, you made me laugh & think, brightened my day :)

*I'm SM member so don't count me for the giveaways!*

Naima Simone said...

LOL!! I'm so glad I could add a little laughter to your day. Or rather my pathetic tales of crushes gone unrecognized. Look at me now, Eugene! *Shaking fist* Snicker.

Thank you so much for coming by and visiting! You always make my day, too!

Meda White said...

Great post, Naima! I had a crush on a guy in high school. He was a couple of years older and he had a red firebird with T-tops. Sigh! We were in band together and I'd try to sit close to him on the bus going to games and competitions. I giggled a lot. No wonder he never liked me back. :)

Naima Simone said...

ROTFL!! I love it, Meda! You giggled, I stuttered. Snicker. I love that you remember those details like the red firebird with T-tops. For the record, today he's probably like, damn! *finger snap* I messed UP! LOL!

Thanks for sharing your unrequited love story with me!

bn100 said...

Fun post. I'd say the Rock

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Naima Simone said...

Oooh yeah, the Rock. Good one. I luvs me some Dwayne Johnson! That smile... It's almost as beautiful as Vin's. Hee-hee!

Tawnya Peltonen said...

Fantastic post!

I just finished watching a marathon of Daria, so the first fictional couple that never got together but should have that popped into my head was Daria and Trent. *sighs* I think Trent is one of the reasons I love badboy rockers so much.

lovey_20_81@hotmail.com

Shadow said...

lol Love this part! I cant stop laughing! :D Vin is a hottie. Glad you two are happy! hehe Right now, im dying to Caroline and Klaus to get together from Vampire Diaries. There taking FOREVER to get to "that" point. Its driving me nuts. Ive watched a ton of movies but right now im drawing a blank couples. Let me get back to ya on there. :D Now you have me sitting back thinking on all my crushes..some were...brutal. lol Thanks for sharing! Loved your post! Your a ton of fun!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Naima Simone said...

OMG, Tawnya, you took me back! LOL! I used to love Daria. I should've thought of Daria and Trent and added them to the list. And high-five, girl! Gotta love the bad-boy rockers. Sigh. They're my fantasy. Well...one of 'em. Hee-hee!

Thank you so much for coming by, Tawnya!

Naima Simone said...

Shadow, I knoooooow!! What's up with those two getting together? Will they? Won't they? Will they? Won't they? I've wanted them together from the moment he saved her life and then gave her that birthday gift. Sigh. He's so hot. And Gawd that accent! Double sigh. But now that Klaus is on that spinoff "The Originals" I'm sitting up here wondering if they ever will? Cause that needs to happen!

Shadow, thank you for coming by, bringing your laughter and commenting! *waving madly*

Louisa Cornell said...

It appears your relationship with Vin (definitely a hottie!) is much like mine with Richard Armitage, sigh. And Gerard Butler. sigh. Hey! I like variety, okay? So sue me! I'm old, baby, not dead!

Unrequited love? Phantom of the Opera. Raoul, Christine? Really? You are stuck on stupid, girl!

Naima Simone said...

LOL! Heck naw, you're not dead, Louisa! And girl, I might just fight you for Gerard. Hee-hee! We're still cool though, right? No hard feelings?

And yes! Good one with Phantom of the Opera! High-five!

Nancy H said...

I had a crush on Paul Palmer in fourth grade. He went around the room and told all the girls "Your eyes are like... grass, emeralds, sapphires, etc." Mr. Romance. He came to me and said "Your eyes are like dog poop." I was CRUSHED!!!!

Naima Simone said...

LOL!!! In my experience, Nancy, the girls boys are mean to are the ones they consider they're soul mates...or cooler than Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Thundercats all rolled into one. Snicker. Gotta hand it to that guy though. What a romantic!

Jan Douglas said...

Hello!!
Looking forward to seeing you at the luncheon.

Jan

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Jan!
Only a month away! Yaay! We're going to have a ball! I can't wait to see you, Jan!

Heather said...

Thank you for the giveaway. I enjoyed the pst.

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Heather!
Thank you so much for stopping by and reading! Have an awesome Monday!