Friday, September 27, 2013

Interview with Jeaniene Frost

When Jeaniene accepted Southern Magic’s invitation to be their keynote speaker, it gave me a good excuse to read a few of her books without feeling guilty for not writing on my own. Well, I’m on number nine and loving them. By the way, to help you keep up, she provides reading lists on her website. Click here

The woman is a writing powerhouse, and I’m so happy she made time to answer these questions.

When did you start writing fiction?

Right before I turned thirty. I’d wanted to be an author since I was twelve, but while I started a lot of stories, I never finished them. Then, with that milestone birthday looming, I realized I was either going to get serious about my dream, or give it up. I wasn’t ready to give it up, so I began writing with one goal in mind – finish a book. That book turned out to be my debut novel, Halfway to the Grave.

Loved the opening scene of that book! It blew me away.

Who influenced your writing the most? Why?

I can’t pick only one author. When I was twelve, I filched my mother’s copy of Skye O’Malley by Bertrice Small. That introduced me to the romance genre, which had a huge impact on my writing. In my later teens, I read Chances by Jackie Collins, which made me fall in love with the anti-hero archetype. The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye taught me that books can be a teleportation device, because I felt like I was really there in the setting. Then Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series hooked me on first-person narratives, which is the style I am most comfortable with when writing.

That’s only a few out of countless authors who’ve had an impact on my writing. Every time I read something I love, I want to write a book that makes someone else equally happy, so other authors constantly challenge and inspire me.

Who are your top five authors to read?

So hard to narrow it down to just five! Melissa Marr, Ilona Andrews, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Kresley Cole, and Charlaine Harris are definite favorites, but I have a more complete list on my website here: http://jeanienefrost.com/links/


Describe where you are the most productive when you write.

In my office with the door shut, the internet off, and my music on. Lots of authors go to coffee shops or other public places to write, but distractions kill my productivity. I have a 12pm through 7pm “no phone calls” block for my family and friends, too. Otherwise, I’ve never finish a book.


What is your go-to book to read over and over again?

There are so many new books I want to read, and my time is limited, so I normally don’t re-read. The only book I’ve made a point to re-read is the Bible, but since that’s so lengthy, it takes me a while to get through it even once.


Tells us a little about your current book?

It’s called The Beautiful Ashes, and it’s the first book my New Adult paranormal romance series with Harlequin. I’ve had this story in my head for years, but due to various reasons, I never had a chance to tell it before now. I’m so excited to finally be able to share it with readers!

So looking forward to it!

Show us one small scene with your favorite dialogue from that book.

I’m only a few chapters into writing it, so this won’t be my favorite dialog for long, but here’s a snippet (subject to change since this is pre-edits). As a backdrop, my heroine has had the worst week ever. Her sister went missing, her parents were killed in a car crash, she’s been seeing strange things, and she just got thrown out of a police station. In other words, she’s in no mood to meet the hero, but because I am an evil author, that’s exactly what’s about to happen:

Excerpt from The Beautiful Ashes, releasing in September 2014:


By the time I returned to the motel, several days of sleeplessness felt like it finally caught up with me. I entered my room and dropped my purse as though it were a fifty pound anchor, then flicked on the light.
Everything in me stiffened. The couch should’ve been empty, but it wasn’t. A man with hair the color of dark honey sat there, his large frame taking up most of the space. I thought he was another hallucination until he spoke. Hallucinations had never spoken to me before.
“Hi,” he said, his deep voice tinged with an emotion I couldn’t name. “Sorry to tell you, but you’re about to have a really bad night.”
I should turn around, open the door, and run, preferably while screaming. That was the only logical response, but I stood there, somehow unafraid of my intruder. Great. My survival instincts must’ve secretly made a suicide pact.
“If you knew the day I’d had, you’d realize that whatever you had planned could only make it better,” I heard myself reply.
A grin cocked the side of his mouth. Whatever response he’d been expecting, it hadn’t been that. Hell, I’d surprised myself. Guess my vocal cords were in on the death wish, too.
***

[Clapping, clapping] I’m so excited! Thank you for sharing.
 
What do you believe makes a man sexy?

Honesty. Even the most ripped abs can’t make up for a liar, in my opinion. A close second to that is a sense of humor. Life is hard sometimes, and a man who can help you smile through the pain is one you want to hold on to.

Of course, both those qualities along with a ripped set of abs doesn’t hurt, either ;-).


Amen, sister!  Thank you so much for answering my questions.  Looking forward to seeing you in Birmingham on November 2.

I [Carla] will be giving away an e-format copy of any of Jeaniene's books. Winner's choice - USA or International.  Be sure to comment by September 30.

Now for the dry but necessary rules. More times that you comment, the more entries you'll have in the drawing. You must be in the U.S. to win as it will be mailed to you. (There will be other prizes during the month eligible for international commenters to win.) Be sure to check back here tomorrow for the announcement of the winner and instructions on how to receive the book. You must follow the instructions before September 30 to receive the book. Void after that date.

In the month of September, we’re celebrating our Romance Readers Luncheon by giving away books and other goodies, including the grand prize of a Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet. To win the tablet, be sure to comment throughout the month. On September 30, we'll draw from everyone who commented (exception: Southern Magic members and international commenters are ineligible - sorry) and announce the grand prize winner.

If you wish to attend the luncheon, be sure to register and pay before October 27 at southernmagic.org.

When: November 2, 2013, Saturday, 11 a.m.

Where: Harbert Center in downtown Birmingham, AL (free parking)

Who: The keynote speaker is NYT bestselling author Jeaniene Frost! The welcome speaker is NYT bestselling author Christy Reece who also writes as Ella Grace.

Why: We’ll be giving away lots of free books, and you’ll have opportunities to take home a basket full or more. Plus you’ll have a wonderful lunch with a published author. The list of authors can be found at www.southernmagic.org.

84 comments:

Jillian said...

Awesome interview- can't wait for the luncheon!

Naima Simone said...

This interview makes me even more excited about the Readers Luncheon!

Wonderful interview, Jeaniene and Carla!

Rashda Khan said...

Great interview! I haven't really dabbled in NA reads, but I know I'll have to try her new one :)

tewanda said...

Great interview. Looking forward to the luncheon!

Tewanda

Carol Bibb said...

Looking forward to the luncheon and meeting you in person.

Allena Harrington said...

Thats an awesome interview!!! Is November here yet?!?!?!!?!

bn100 said...

nice interview

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

ForeverNicksGirl said...

Awesome interview! Will definitely add her new book to my read list!

Ms. Thang Cherise said...

Can not wait for the new series

Michelle said...

awesome interview!!!

Anonymous said...

The new book sounds like a winner. I read read your books this summer.

Lisa

kAsharie said...

So excited for this new book!

kAsharie said...

So excited for this new book!

Reid Storey said...

I can't to read this new series!!

Kelly said...

Awesome!!! Congrats Jeaniene on the new series. Looking forward to it. Sad to see Cat & Bones go!! Can't wait for more Vlad!!! :)

ps (carla, I already own all of Jeaniene's books so do count me in the giveaway) :)

Kelly
Books-n-Kisses

Anonymous said...

I'll read anything Jeaniene writes.

Paula Jean Currier said...

Loved the interview. Great to hear one of my favorite authors loves the same authors..

Bobbye Booth said...

Thanks for the giveaway :)

Marianne said...

Love anything Jeaniene writes!

Anonymous said...

Love her books. Can't wait to read the new series.

SandyG265 said...

I enjoyed the interview

Jeaniene Frost said...

Thanks so much for having me on the site today, and for the great interview questions! I am really looking forward to seeing everyone at the Luncheon in November. Can't wait!

Anna F. said...

Loved the snippet for your new series! There's a lot of NA out there; it's hard to know where an author will go with the characters. I know you'll take us somewhere good! Can't wait!

btw, it seems like the guy on the couch knows her. hmmm

christina almanza said...

Love it, and can't wait!!

Lula said...

I love Jeaniene Frost's books and wish I had the time off to go to the luncheon.

Sara Stefanelli said...

Jeaniene Frost 's absolutely my favourite author! I started reading Paranormal Romance when i bought "Halfway to the grave" and then i just couldn't stop! She is able to create an amazing world full of emotiones and i think that this is her best quality.

Unknown said...

Jeanine Frost is an auto-buy for me. I've listened to her books on audio and they only get better. Since I have all of them don't enter me into the drawing for her books. Thanks for the interview!

LauraR

Tawnya Peltonen said...

Fantastic interview!

lovey_20_81@hotmail.com

MP said...

I really liked the interview. I dig it when an author is starting a new series shortly after another one has been completed. I find myself falling in love with the authors writing style and feel bereft without any more to come. Thanks to Jeaniene Frost for being one of those authors! I'm looking forward to this new series she's working on. I know without a doubt in my mind that it will be just as amazing as anything she has written to date!

Ashley Martinez said...

Love your Night Huntress series! Look forward to the new series.

Unknown said...

Great interview, and love the excerpt

Dawn said...

I can't wait to read The Beautiful Ashes! The Night Huntress series is my all time favorite.

Ruth Gutscher said...

CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE NEW RELEASE...LOVE THE BOOKS,LOVE THE AUTHOR...AWESOME

Teresa said...

Jeaniene Frost is one of my all time favorites! great interview

handtalker said...

LOVE Jeaniene's books! I am SO excited to read any and all future books!

Debi Murray said...

Oh, boy! I can't wait. Jeaniene is writing me another book boyfriend. LOL! Seriously, she is a must buy for keeper shelf. If she keeps up the pace, I may have to dedicate a whole book case to her work.

Lisa Richard said...

I love all of Jeannine's books, looking forward to more!

Lisa Richard said...

Jeannine is so talented, she combines humor, adventure and hot sexy guys , there is no better combination.

Lisa Richard said...

Vlad is my favorite, being from Boston I can relate to his sarcasm.

libby said...

Love Jeaniene's style of writing!!

Steph F. said...

I've always been a huge fan of your series so really excited that your branching into NA. Great interview and I'm so jealous of those going to the luncheon. It sounds like an blast.

fsteph55(at)yahoo(dot)com

DarcQueen said...

Love her books

DarcQueen said...

I can't wait until the new series !!!!! I love her books

DarcQueen said...

I'm ready to see how cat and bones will end I think I'm going to reread the entire series before the new book release

KMT said...

Great writer - love her books, and your interview with her was interesting.

Shadow said...

Awesome! I love that you got a Q & A from her. Her books are fantastic! Love them! :D I enjoyed reading your post! Thank ya all for sharing!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

sherrimp said...

Great interview!

Louisa Cornell said...

Awesome interview! And I am ashamed to say I actually haven't read any of Jeaniene's books yet. (Ducks flying empty Starbucks cups.) I am really looking forward to gloming a stack of them and having a Frost reading fest once I finish what I am working on right now!

Shar Simms said...

Great interview/

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I love the realmwalkwer excerpt so much ;)

windphyre said...

I'm so excited to see new series from Frost! Each of her series just is better than the previous--and that is saying a lot.

Anonymous said...

I love Jeaniene Frost, cant wait for her next book!

-Heather R.

AlysL - A woman just trying to make it through the day. said...

I love anything written by Jeaniene Frost! Can't wait for the new series....however, I am sad to say goodbye to Bones! I only re-read a few authors....JF books are on that short list!

Melanie Malcoon said...

Sad to see Cat and Bones series ending, but all must come to an end. Looking forward to the new series and can't wait for it to come out.

Denise Van Plew said...

Wonderful author and good interview. I have enjoyed reading all her books really like Bones and Cat. Always good to see a new series.

Doreen Queen said...

Love Ms. Frost's books and would love to win her latest e-novel!

Laura C said...

Fantastic interview. I started reading Jeanniene Frost's books when I saw her mentioned on Ilona Andrews' web site. Love both authors' books very much.

wellworld said...

Can't wait for this book now. Loved the interview!

lois cass said...

I can not wait for this book now! Soooo excited!!!

lois cass said...

This is sooo awesome!

lois cass said...

Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Siabhon said...

Wow, I'm so excited

DarcQueen said...

I'm planning to read the new series for sure !!!!! Love all of her work

DarcQueen said...

Great interview. !!!!!!

DarcQueen said...

I won one her cover flats and I love it !!!!!! Thanks jeaniene !!!!!!

Lisa Richard said...

Would love to see the night huntress come to the big screen someday!

Heather M. said...

Wonderful interview, I love Jeaniene's style of writing and can't wait to read more books by her!

Manda said...

Her books are such fun reads! Can wait for the next!!

jmcgaugh said...

I enjoyed the interview and love Jeaniene's books.
jmcgaugh (at) semo (dot) edu

susan317 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
susan317 said...

Jeaniene Frost's books were pretty much my first foray into PNR a few yeas ago, and I'm so glad I found her novels. It was great to see her mention Diana Gabaldon as an author she admires. I love Jeaniene Frost's books & look forward to reading this one, too!

Tashraven said...

The new series sounds great!
rabbit.eyes3@yahoo.com

Erin Z. said...

Sounds awesome!

Underworld Love Addiction said...

Great interview :)

Tracy Kilgore said...

Great interview! I can't wait for the new series!

donnas said...

Love love her books, cant wait for more

Jessica Coyer said...

Great Interview!!! Can't wait for the new book sounds amazing already!!

Desiree Griggs said...

Can't wait to read the new series!

Desiree Griggs said...

I love all her other work!

Desiree Griggs said...

I can't wait until she comes to my home state next month!

Desiree Griggs said...

Super excited!!

Wendy Beck said...

Too excited!! Thanks for the excerpt!

Tamara said...

Great interview. Thanks for the excerpt as well! I'm looking forward to the new series!

Tamara @ Shelf Addiction

tadyena said...

love Jeaniene and anything she writes