Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Going PRO


At RWA Nationals, I enjoyed walking around and reading everyone’s name tags. On the bottom of many of those badges was a little blue strip with the letters PRO printed on it in white. I wanted one. This is my plain white name tag. It was boring, so I dressed it up.


I’ve completed the application and have all supporting information ready to send to Romance Writers of America for my PRO status. For those unfamiliar with the term, PRO status is for members of RWA who are pursuing publication. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve sold a book, but you’ve submitted and are waiting for the call. The PRO Community of Practice focus is less on craft and more on the business side of writing.
The “proof” I’m providing is a letter of “receipt of submission” from one publisher and a rejection letter from one agent. I’m going for double coverage. Also, I’m sending a CD of the manuscript. That little bug in my ointment means I have to visit the post office, get a special envelope, and send everything. (I don’t know why I hate going to the post office. They are always very nice at the one near my house.)
It will be worth it in the end because I will be validated on some level. My husband says I’ll be bonafide. Now, if I could just get him to stop saying, “You can buy _____ when you sell a book.”

If you’re a PRO, how did it make you feel to gain that status? If not, is it something you hope to achieve?

5 comments:

Jamie Farrell said...

Hi, Meda! Congrats on applying for PRO! :) That's such an exciting step. Hope you start seeing those "Yes"'s from agents and editors in your inbox soon!!

Meda White said...

Thanks, Jamie! I hope so too. I'm about to put on my slicker and go to the post office.

Carla Swafford said...

Congratulations, Meda. In an industry that can take more than it gives, it is nice to have some recognition of your hard work.

Louisa Cornell said...

Congrats, Meda! Making PRO means we've gone one step further than all of those people who say they want to write a book one day. We've actually done it! And even more important we've sent it out there into the world. Win, lose or draw that takes guts. Making PRO means we have the courage to stand behind what we write.

Meda White said...

Thanks Carla & Louisa. The application is on the way to Houston. Exciting!