Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day Job Blues

It's that time of year again. All of the little ankle-biters are gearing up with freshly sharpened pencils, new clothes, and (for my older son's class) "at least 20 glue sticks." The older ones are groaning at the thought of early mornings and homework.

Oh, wait. That's me.

Yup, the day job is starting up again.

I know that I shouldn't complain. Most of my grad school friends don't have full-time jobs and I actually really love the people I work with. Plus, I have this schedule that gives me time (if I don't teach summer classes) to do nothing but write. Well, write and watch my kids, which usually just turns into watching my kids.

Right now I'm staring down the barrel of FIVE composition classes. That's five courses that each require at least 4-5 essays plus other written work to grade. *whimpers* And I'm making out my schedule, because I have edits due October 1st (*confetti*), another round on one of the books I'm working on editing for my freelance business in a couple of weeks (by a USA Today Bestselling author!!) , and a really odd Middle-Grade novel I started that is stalled at 22k words.

Good lord, I love being busy :O)

Now I just have to figure out how to balance it all.

How do you all do it? Are you a crack of dawn writer like Jennifer Echols? I know so many of you are full-timers like me--how do you make sure to make time to write?


Oh, yeah-  and while you're at it, how about coming on over and friending my author alter-ego on facebook?

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Not sure how others do it, especially with small children, but I gave up most of my TV time. I ignore the dust on my furniture, and really, who needs all those flowers in the yard anyway.

It comes down to how bad you want to be published and prolific. Two or more books in one year is prolific to me.

Chris Bailey said...

The best way for me to be productive on a tight schedule is to make sure I've primed the pump. With total disregard for sentence structure, word choice, or abundance of cliches, I jot notes (sometimes using the note pad on my phone). Like this morning, while taking the poopy for his walk, I noted a couple of hideous half sentences of dialogue. When I settle for real writing, I usually set an alarm. As in, "I have 52 minutes before I have to jump in the car to go do Whatever." The way my head works, I can relax into the work if I know the alarm will tell me when to start the next thing. Otherwise, it's me checking the clock over and over, and not getting into the story. BTW, I love the start of the school year! The guests have left the beach!

Louisa Cornell said...

I'm just happy the little monsters are back in school and not running around the aisles at Walmart making my job more difficult!

I'm trying hard NOT to let the day job interfere with my writing, but it isn't always easy.

I am NOT a morning person, so the getting up a few hours early is not happening. I am a late night person so about the time I get cranked up writing it is time to go to bed to get up at the crack of dawn to go to work.

It is easier for me to write on my days off. And in order to not let the house to-do list take up the entire day I have a list of things that need to be done around the house and I pick just TWO to do on my day off so I can devote the rest of the day to writing.

Lisa Maxwell said...

Such great ideas! I'm so psyched that this semester I have a 2-day a week schedule. So for 2 days I'll do marathon teaching, and then basically I'l have 3 left for not commuting! But still...day job=blerg