Monday, July 22, 2013

My RWA Nationals Experience...In MEME

Another Nationals has come and gone. And once again, I did not experience the wonder and shoe-excellence that these conferences seem to entail.

At first, this seemed like a good decision. I was, like, I don't have a book deal. I can wait another year.


And I was totally okay with that until... Yeah, I kinda got a book deal. So I was all like





And there was much rejoicing....until I realized that now I REALLY wanted to go to RWA. I needed to meet people and network. I wanted one of those spiffy first sale badges. I wanted to celebrate with my writer pals.

But, when I tried to find a room, none of the nearby hotels had ANY. Nada. Zip. Zilch.



So I didn't end up going. Again.


But that was okay. I was saving all that money, and anyway, wouldn't people be live tweeting things??


But it's really not the same, is it?

So next year, I'm learning from mistakes. Next year I'll be in NOLA for RT and Texas for RWA if it kills me... Next year, I



6 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

LOL What a great post! And it was a great conference. I hate you missed it. Where else could you see Christy Reece, Marie Campbell and Jennifer St. John take on an Ice Cream Nachos monster made for four people? :) (And yes, I have photos!)

I know you'll get there next year and you'll have a ball.

The best part is the feeling of coming home you get. At RWA Nationals for one week there is no day job, no housework - there is just a meeting of minds, a party, a collaboration and a tribal pow wow the likes of which no tribe has ever seen.

Carla Swafford said...

Lisa, RWA was a good time, but RT will be GREAT!!! See you then!

Lisa Maxwell said...

I already have a room for RT! Staying with some lovely authors in the middle of the French Quarter in this crazy 19th century house. So excited :O)

Suzanne Johnson said...

Fun post! Hope you're able to make the big cons next year! RT is going to be AWESOMENESS in New Orleans. RWA in San Antonio is going to be very, very, VERY hot.

As a longtime New Orleans resident, if anyone wants hints and tips on places to go/things to do/restaurants to patronize, let me know!!

Meda White said...

Your post had me laughing out loud. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make RT or RWA next year but because I want to go so badly, I'm rethinking my trip to Europe. Hmmm. Decisions. Maybe I'll see you there. Congrats on your book sale.

Anonymous said...

I love your post! I didn't go to nationals cause d I joined RWA two days after it began... Next year I'm definitely going though!!