Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Meet Debut Author Dakota Harrison


Tell me about your story. Why will we love it, and how is it different than anything we’ve read?

Good morning and thank you for having me!
Exhale’ is a love story that spans ten years. Gabby seeks peace and a steady, safe life. Her own until then has been tumultuous, with the conception of her son resulting from rape at the young age of fourteen. It deals with what is usually perceived taboo – a man who is not only much younger, but also the best friend of the heroine’s now-adult son. An exchange student from Japan, Taka falls for his friend’s mother after the death of her husband. Oblivious to his feelings, Gabby welcomes him into the family fold. Shocked at the revelation of his feelings for her, she rejects him when he suggests changing his plans for his future, scared of the repercussions of what it would mean to admit she cares.
What is your favorite line from the novel?
Have I told you how much I love you today?”
Matt’s gray eyes softened with affection. “Nope. Not today. I was wondering what was wrong.”
Who is your hero, and why will we love him?
Taka is a cardio surgeon now living in Seattle. And he’s patient. He’s prepared to wait for what he wants – ten years, in fact – and do what he has to, to get it. He makes a deal with Gabby the night he graduates college, one she thought he’d long forgotten. No one compares to her for him, she is his unmei no hito – his destined one, his soul mate. He just has to make her believe in herself, in them. His compassion and caring overlay a spine of steel, although to acquaintances he appears very easygoing and laid back.
Who is your heroine, and what makes her special?
Gabby is a freelance business merger lawyer. She’s tough. She pulled her life together after being assaulted and left for dead, continuing her education and refusing to let circumstances rule her fate; then had to do it again when she lost her husband in a workplace accident, leaving her a sole parent and heartbroken. She’s a survivor, but secretly she wonders if she’s not really meant to be happy. She’s loved Taka for a long time, but doesn’t trust herself enough to let herself be happy. Throw into the mix her assailant being released from prison, and she has to make a hard decision.
What are you currently reading?
Heart of Iron, by Bec McMaster; To Challenge the Earl of Cravenswood, by Bronwen Evans; and a re-read of Allegiance Sworn, by Kylie Griffin. I tend to read outside my genre for brain-space when I'm writing, mostly fantasy or scifi romance. It feeds the muse’s need for creativity but doesn’t impact on my writing. I keep my contemporary romance reading for when I'm between writing books, then I splurge!
Why did you start writing?

That’s a hard one. I’ve written since I can remember. It’s like oxygen to me. My mum gave me an old box off the veranda recently and it contained a book I’d written and illustrated when I was about nine years old (am now in my mid 30s). I just had so many stories in my head begging to come out and be told that it was a natural progression from reading so much.

Where can we find you online?

www.dakotaharrsion.com 
www.facebook.com/michelle.derooy.96
Twitter - @DakotaHarrison_

To find Exhale, go to:

4 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

You have totally captured me with this book! How fabulous...

I have GOT to read this. :)

I am glad you stopped by this blog!

Carla Swafford said...

So many things I love: hero crazy about heroine, painful past for heroine, and the setting. Seattle is wonderful! Thank you, Dakota!

Thanks for the interview, Heather.

Dakota Harrison said...

M.V., Thanks!! I'm stoked to be here. I hope you love it as much as I do. It's something a little different ;)

Cheers,
Dakota

Dakota Harrison said...

Carla, hi! Yes, Taka is a persistent fellow, that's for sure. He's not about to take no for an answer. Seattle is number 1 on my list to visit the next time I'm in the US. I'd love to move there. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager.