Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Highs and Lows

The writing life, for the unpublished.

I won a contest! Squeeeee!

I got the feedback. My writing resembles a hairball on the kitchen counter. 

What I have to keep telling myself is that writing for publication is not the same as making an A in freshman comp. I may have a good grasp of the basic rules, but now I'm competing with a world full of talented writers in the attempt to attract attention. It's another level of the writing game. Those who quit will never know how close they came.

Last night, I won a tennis match. When we shook hands, my opponent said, "You're stubborn."

"7-5, 6-4? You are, too," I said.

"Yeah, but you're more stubborn."

I treasure that. It takes me to the next writing session.

Here's a little advice on self-discipline from James Scott Bell.

4 comments:

Suzanne Johnson said...

Ah, contests....Remember, it's only one person's opinion. When I really start listening is when I hear the same thing from at least three different sources. And they must not really have said the hairball thing because...you won!

Carla Swafford said...

Stubbornness is a must when it comes to succeeding in anything. And I'm sure you know that.

Congratulations on the win(s)!

Louisa Cornell said...

The difference between a published writer and an unpublished writer? The published writer didn't quit.

Chris Bailey said...

One of the greatest things about Southern Magic is the support! Every writer should be blessed by such wise and talented peers.