Monday, July 29, 2013

Book Soundtracks by Debra Glass

I plot books in the oddest places. By nature, I’m a pantser – which means I write by the seat of my pants. My characters often surprise me. They say things I didn’t expect and do things that alter their courses (and my idea of where the book should go!).

One of my favorite places to explore paths for my characters to take is during those seemingly unending hours (minutes to be specific lol) on the elliptical machine at the gym. And while others are glued to the of televisions blaring one of the millions of ESPN channels, or listening to the latest upbeat jam, I’m lost in the nineteenth century world of my characters, listening to soundtrack music on my iPod.

The strains of violins and cellos seem incongruous with strenuous cardio, but that’s where I see my stories unfolding in my head as if they were movies on the big screen.

Here are a few pieces on my workout playlist now, serving to inspire my upcoming Victorian historical, Rakehell.


Primrose’s hand flew to her heart and she dragged in great gulps of air. If she’d still been wearing her corset, she would have surely swooned. She paced to the window. Light bathed the garden below, making her terribly aware that she stood in dishabille in the middle of the morning. To add to her distress, memories of the one night she’d spent with her husband battered her like a wild surf against the rocks.

He’d held some sort of power over her. A wicked thrall that had rendered her helpless but to do anything for him.

Everything.


When he licked at her lips, she opened, admitting his tongue. Before when they’d kissed, he’d pillaged her mouth the way he took her body. Forcefully with a burning need to sate their mutual desires. But this kiss—this tender kiss—made her heart race. It kindled that emotion roiling in her gut she dared not name. This kiss was far more dangerous than any pleasurable punishment he meted out to her, for it had the power to destroy her, to dredge up that place where she’d stood five long, miserable years ago.

Alone. Abandoned.


This one is for scenes I haven’t yet written (but have plotted during a workout!).


Rakehell is contracted with Ellora’s Cave and should be finished and released sometime early 2014.

In the meantime, I have a new anthology of two of my Civil War era historicals.

 

 

Buy Scarlet Belles In Print

Amazon | B&N | Ellora's Cave

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

When I'm deep under deadline, music (sometimes Japanese rock -- I got that from Anne Stuart) helps me stay on track.

Meda White said...

Good for you that you can workout to that. I have to listen to an interval mix to make me move my butt a little faster but even then, sometimes it gives me inspiration for fast paced scenes. It's so cool when that happens.

Louisa Cornell said...

I usually have a soundtrack of music selections for each book I write. Most of mine is instrumental music - "classical" or even movie soundtracks. And I do have pieces I listen to for specific scene types - love scenes, black moment, flirtatious.

Ina said...

This is gorgeous!