Monday, June 10, 2013

Sexy Writing Playlist

photosteve101/Flickr

When I posted last month about music that inspires me, I mentioned in the comments that I have a playlist to listen to when I write sexy scenes. A commenter asked me to share, so I thought I'd give you a sample.


"Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson (the original video that stinkin' YouTube/Vevo won't let me embed) - this one is just straight up, "I like having sex with you, you like having sex with me, I miss having sex with you, so let's have sex again soon."


"Crash Into Me" by Dave Matthews Band (the original video that stinkin' YouTube/Vevo won't let me embed) - Oh, the things Dave Matthews' voice does to me *sigh* *swoon* Do I need another reason?


"Possession" by Sarah McLachlan (the original video that stinkin' YouTube/Vevo won't let me embed) - This is one of those sexy stalker songs (see also: "Every Breath You Take"). You know you should be completely freaked out, but the song is so damned hot.


"#1 Crush" by Garbage - Another sexy stalker with some inspiring sounds at the beginning. And it's from the Romeo  + Juliet soundtrack. (Come on, don't act like you didn't see that movie twenty times for Leo.)


"Criminal" by Fiona Apple (the original video that stinkin' YouTube/Vevo won't let me embed) - Any song that begins with "I've been a bad, bad girl" is definitely a song I want on my playlist. Even though the song is about asking for forgiveness for breaking a man's heart, the beat is pure musical sex.

There were so many more I could have added. Which songs get you in the sexy writing mood?

6 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

When writing romantic moments I usually listen to songs that evoke the main characters or songs that resonate romance or happiness (from various points of my life). I play them on a continuous loop so the beginning and end have to fade into each other without jarring me out of the story.

Some of my favorites:

Sarah Mclachlan "Angel"

Syreeta and Billy Preston "With You I'm Born Again

Richard Marx "Falling"

Karen Polwart "Hole in the Heart"

Patti Austin and James Ingram "Baby Come to Me"

Lonestar "Amazed"

Bill Withers "Just the Two of Us"

Two Door Cinema Club "The World is Watching"

Kerry Freeman said...

Awesome songs! Thanks for sharing :)

Meda White said...

I turn on Pandora to my Ed Sheeran station and I'm set. I also like a few slow, sexy, country songs to set the mood. "Give It All We Got Tonight" by George Strait is a favorite.

Misty said...

I think the group Enigma has a lot of sexy music. I particularly like the song Return to Innocence.

Louisa Cornell said...

Most of my favorite musicians have been dead for 200 hundred years or more. For the most part I listen to instrumental music when writing love scenes.

A few of my favorites are :

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Guitar Concerto in D, 2nd Mvt by Antonio Vivaldi

Alicia Hunter Pace said...

Kerry,

Love this post. I have playlists for my characters but I never thought of playlists for particular scenes--the black moment, the resolution, the epilogue. I will have to ponder this.

Alicia--Jean