Friday, June 07, 2013

Jump Start

Everyone needs that little extra push at times. A jump start, if you will, to overcome a stall.

I've been off the wagon several months now, writing little-to-nothing. Now, I don't mean I've abandoned writing; I'm brainstorming constantly about my WIP. But everyone knows brainstorming only goes so far. There must be words on paper. And I've found, much like exercising, I need a little push to really get started back regularly.

So, to jump start my writing, I'm taking an online class. What do you do when you've taken time away from writing to jump start chair time?

8 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

Kat,
I do much the same thing...start a class or I give myself a deadline. There is something about putting words to paper (computer) that helps.
I truly hope you get some writing done! :)

Louisa Cornell said...

I do the timer thing. It helps. I set a timber for fifteen minutes. For those fifteen minutes I have to sit at my computer with a document open. I don't necessarily have to write, but I can't do anything else. NOTHING. I HAVE to sit there. Nine times out of ten I don't last the fifteen minutes before I have to write something even if it is garbage.

Louisa Cornell said...

That would be TIMER, not timber. SHEESH! Makes it sound like I have a lumberjack standing over me.

Kat Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat Jones said...

Okay, sorry for the earlier delete. What can I say, I'm a work in progress. ;-)

I like the idea of setting a deadline!

Kat Jones said...

I don't know, maybe a lumberjack standing over your shoulder isn't so bad.... ;)



Cari Hislop said...

I've been reading through Julia Cameron's Walking in this World (The 12 week creativity course that follows on from The Artist Way). I'm reading it slowly...doing my morning pages and taking her advice (and doing most of the activities though not following the weekly schedule). For anyone feeling emotionally or creatively parched she is a God send! This book has helped me numerous times since I bought it in 2003. I highly recommend it.

Ali Hubbard said...

All I can think of is lumberjacks. Lol.
Great blog. Im learning that I do much better with a deadline, even if it is self imposed. And taking Suzanne's plotting class is giving me great tools.