Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gone to the Dogs



A couple of months ago, we adopted a dog. She shed, drooled, and piddled her way into our hearts very quickly. We made an emergency, out of town run to the groomer recently, at which point I said, “Our bank account has gone to the dogs.” So has my housekeeping, because she sheds faster than I can clean, but neither thing bothers me. I’m so happy to have the little fur ball, I’ll take the bad with the good.
The phrase “Gone to the dogs” got me thinking about all of the dog idioms out there. And since I'm contemplating a story with dogs as featured players, I made a list of phrases with their meanings.
Gone to the dogs: State of decline.
Call off the dogs: Stop the attack.
Thrown to the dogs: Abandon someone to the enemy.
Sick as a dog: Really sick.
Let sleeping dogs lie: Leave well enough alone.
Hair of the dog: Hangover remedy.
If you lie with dogs, you’ll get fleas: Bad influence of others.
It’s a dog eat dog world: Stiff competition.
Low down dirty dog: Insert name here. 
And finally, Who let the dogs out?: A song by Baha Men that refers to randy men. Not men named Randy.

I know there are others. What “dog” idioms have you heard and what do they mean?

10 comments:

Alicia Hunter Pace said...

Three Dog Night--A night so cold you want three dogs in your bed.

Alicia Hunter Pace said...

Also, That dog won't hunt--I do not believe you and I can't believe you even tried to make me.

Suzanne Johnson said...

My favorite is: "If you want to play with the big dogs, get off the porch!"

I think you have a whole series' worth of doggy titles!

Meda White said...

@Alicia- good ones. When I saw Three Dog Night, I started singing "Jeremiah was a bullfrog..."

@Suzanne- I like that one too. I've heard a few variations like: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch."

Carla Swafford said...

Lazy as a dog. Self-explanatory. :-)

Meda White said...

@Carla- LOL- as I look at my dog who is passed out in the middle of the floor.

Aidee Ladnier said...

What about "My dogs are barking" for my feet really hurt. I may be using this one at Nationals from all the wear comfortable shoes advice I've gotten.

--Angelia

Louisa Cornell said...

First of all, your new furry family member is a doll! What a cutie!

How about :

The guilty dog always barks first.

(Although mine usually do one of two things : Sit on the couch wagging his or her tail looking innocent OR Hide under the bed and hope Mom doesn't find him or her.)

Fighting like cats and dogs.

He (or she) has as many ______ as fleas on a dog.

Dog-earred. (Which I am certain none of us would ever do to a book.)

Like a dog with a bone. (As in incapable of leaving a subject alone!)

Meda White said...

@Aidee- too funny- I said that today. I'm on the lookout for comfy shoes for Nationals.

@Louisa- that's a lot of good ones. I've won't admit to dog-earring a book (maybe a text book?) no admissions, no guilt. I'll be hiding under the bed.

Chris Bailey said...

I couldn't think of any--until Louisa's fighting reference reminded me of raining cats and dogs.

You went to a groomer? I haven't yet. Afraid to try. I just brush a section at a time.