Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Music that inspires me

Photo by Phil Hilfiker/Flickr
Sometimes, I listen to a song, and an entire story springs up in my head by the time the song is over. Other songs become themes for a character. I listen to those songs over and over again while I write those stories.

But other songs just inspire me to be a better person, a better writer, or to just pursue my dreams. Here's a few of those songs.

Listen to this song when you look at your royalty check (or if you don't have a check yet) and wonder, "Why the hell am I doing this?"


Listen to this song (especially the last verse) when you're having trouble getting down on paper what's in your head.


Listen to this song to when you need a reminder that writing is hard, but it's worth it. (NSFW lyrics)


And listen to this song and think, "Damn, if I could write something that beautiful, I could die happy."


Do you have a song that inspires you?

Kerry's website | Kerry on Twitter | Kerry on Facebook

5 comments:

Meda White said...

Remind me to hug your neck the next time I see you for introducing me to Ed Sheeran. The last verse of the song "Wake Me Up" inspired a scene in a new adult romance that I'm working on.

Also, I love the Avett Brothers.

Music definitely inspires me when I write. Great post!

Carla Swafford said...

I have written two books with a song each inspiring me. As books inspire, music certainly do too.

Great post!

Heather said...

As I write, I work on play lists that set the mood for what I'm writing. Those were some great songs you included with the post!

Kerry Freeman said...

@Meda: Ed Sheeran is so awesome! *fangirling* I recommend seeing him in concert when you can. I'm going to see the Avett Brothers in Nashville soon *fangirling again*

@Carla: I think I do better when I at least have a theme song for a character.

@Heather: I've found that I can't listen to music with lyrics while I write. It tends to give more plot bunnies :)

Suzanne Johnson said...

I definitely use music as inspiration! Slaid Cleaves has two songs, "Borderline" and "Bring It On," that were inspiration for my recent serial. In fact, I've threatened to write short stories for every song he's recorded!

Now I'm off to listen to your links :-)