Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Let's take our local authors to the beach!

Book clubs are everywhere, aren’t they? 

Nominally, I’m in two. With a couple of caveats. 

1) I hate night meetings with wine I can’t drink because hell-oooooo, I’m driving! 
2) I hate reading an assigned book. Even when I love the book, I hate it because it’s assigned. 

Those two factors translate into my not showing up all that often. And even less often reading the book in advance. 

Why do I join book clubs? Even though I’m a rebel, I like seeing my friends. And there’s so much a writer can learn from live interactions with face-to-face readers. The books that others recommend, as well as the different interpretations of what struck a chord,  are enlightening.  

This month, my book club (comprised of friends from high school) is going lightweight. It’s book report club month. Instead of discussing what Hilary Mantel’s Bring Up the Bodies reveals about the power of reproductive organs, we’re recommending beach reads.  

My plan is to WIN book club this month. That’s right. WIN. I’m not going to report on just one book. I’m going to recommend the full baker’s dozen released by Southern Magic authors already in 2013. 

What I will tell them is this: Don't expect to slog through a weighty load of Anna Karenina angst. Do expect to experience emotion. Do expect to see human nature exposed. Do expect to be entertained.

Everybody loves local authors, and I’ll bet my book club members have no idea how many Southern Magic authors live in the neighborhood. They’ll hear about:

  • Circle of Deception by Carla Swafford (Avon)
  • Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar by Lexi George (Brava) 
  • In My Wildest Dreams by Larynn Ford (Soul Mate Publishing)
  • Levitating Las Vegas by Jennifer Echols (Pocket Star)
  • Lost Treasure, Captive Princess by Katherine Bone (Crimson Romance)
  • Lover for Ransom by Debra Glass (Ellora’s Cave)
  • Marriage Behind the Facade by Lynn Raye Harris (Harlequin Presents Extra) 
  • Midnight Secrets by Ella Grace (Ballantine Books)
  • Murder in the Smokies by Paula Graves (Harlequin Intrigue)
  • Omega by Susannah Sandlin (Montlake Romance)
  • The Rogue’s Prize by Katherine Bone (Crimson Romance)
  • Star Crossed by Jennifer Echols (Pocket Books)
  • Storm Force by Susannah Sandlin (Kindle Serial!)
  • Under His Wings by Naima Simone (Ellora’s Cave)

Did I miss any 2013 Southern Magic releases? What book would you choose if you needed to report on a beach read for your book club? And why? 

8 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

And CIRCLE OF DECEPTION by Carla Swafford (Released in paperback January 22, 2013). :-)

Lexi said...

Ooh, thrilled to make the list, Chris! Thanks for pimping us out! You=best

Louisa Cornell said...

Can't I read them all and make a book report on each of them? That way I can spend at least a week or more at the beach!!

Chris Bailey said...

Carla, thank you! I'm editing.

Chris Bailey said...

Louisa, I'm at the beach full time now, so come on down and read!

Chris Bailey said...

Lexi,
I feel the glamour from the illustrious company of Southern Magic's published authors!

Suzanne Johnson said...

What a terrific list (and thanks for the mentions). I've read quite a few of these already....now off to find more!

Debra Glass said...

Thanks for the mention!!