Monday, April 15, 2013

How Do You Find a Good Book?

Release Date May 13
These days there are so many different things competing for our attention.  I don't know how it is for all of you, but I often feel like I am on a sled flying down a mountain. The ride is getting faster and faster, but I have no way to steer and no brakes.

Juggling work, family, volunteering, writing, and the details that keep life going like laundry, dishes, and cooking mean  I have to really prioritize my time.  This doesn't mean that I don't read, but it does mean that I read less.  It also means that I am more selective about what I spend my time reading.

Of course, there are lots of ways to find a good new book.  Recommendations from friends is one of my favorites.  I also love the "People who purchased this also bought" feature on Amazon.  I have discovered some great new authors and their books this way.  Romantic Times is another super way that I find new things to read and make sure that I don't miss new books by my favorite authors. I also can always count on Barbara Vey at Publishers Weekly, but  I have recently realized that there are hundreds of online sites and blogs that do book reviews.  I think these will give me a great way to expand my resources to find quality new books to read.

I am looking forward to when Jean and I turn our next book in May 30 to Crimson Romance.  School is also out about then  so  I  hope to have even more time to read.

I am working on my to-be-read list and thought that I would ask you all where you find new books?
Do you have a favorite book review site that you can always turn to for recommendations?

4 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

I love those 'also read lists' too. That's how I found Candice Hern's A Garden Folly. I just read it the other night. It's a Regency romance with a simple plot, but complex character development. Clever sweet and funny.

There are few things more enjoyable than finding your sort of story well done. It's right up there with an ice cream cone of chocolate Mouse Royal. Sadly, I can't get ice cream delivered through my letter box. Pity!

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Pace said...

Cari,
wouldn't it be great if we could get ice cream delivered!

Carla Swafford said...

I'm all for delivered ice cream. Yumm.

It's funny. The new authors I've read recently haven't been recommended by anyone. They're from books I received at conferences, luncheons and contests (judging).

Though two of my newest favorite have been from when 1) I was rooming with Candis Terry at last year's RWA conference and felt I should read at least one of her books. So far I've read them all except for one novella. Her books are so funny and sexy; 2) Jeaniene Frost accepted my offer to be a speaker at Southern Magic's luncheon. I felt obligated to read one. Now I'm on book four and loving them.

Truthfully, I haven't had much luck from friends recommending books. Maybe I'm just picky. Or hard-headed. :-)

Anonymous said...

GroupReaders is an online book club bringing like-minded readers together to discuss, review and rate the latest reads.
groupreaders.tumblr.com