Monday, March 18, 2013

Spring Break Reads

Today is the first day of Spring Break for the Birmingham area schools. Most of my friends have gotten more unsolicited advice from me than they ever wanted about the beach reads they must consume this week. I am actually preparing a pop quiz for next Monday.

Anyway, I wanted to know what you would recommend as your Spring Break "must read" and why.  There are so many great books that have come out recently (especially from Southern Magic members), it is hard to pick just one, I know.

Leave a comment (with your Spring Break read suggestion and short blurb as to why it is your pick).  Check by at 6:00 p.m. CST on Tuesday, March 19.  I'll update this post with the recommending reading list AND pick a commenter to win a signed copy of STAR CROSSED by Jennifer Echols!

UPDATE - we had some great suggestions.  Here they are: 

SPRING BREAK RECOMMENDED READING 

Framed by Frank Cottrell Boyce
Jacob Wonderbar trilogy by Nathan Bransford
Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls series by Meg Cabot
Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy and Grant Blackwood
The Landry News by Andrew Clements
Forget You by Jennifer Echols
Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

The Autum Bride by Anne Gracie
The Dark Lady by Marie Claremont
Back to You by Priscilla Glenn
Any Place I Hang My Hat by Susan Isaacs
The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James
Don't Feed the Boy by Irene Latham
A Dog's Way Home by Bobbie Pyron
The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex
Omega by Susannah Sandlin
Glory Be by Augusta Scattergood
The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban
Angels Burn by Lynn Viel


Authors to check out:  Carla Swafford, Ella Grace, Lexi George, Suzanne Johnson, Jennifer Echols, Kathy Bone, M.V. Freeman

And the winner of STAR CROSSED by the awesome Jennifer Echols is . . . Jamie Manning!

9 comments:

Meda White said...

I'm going to the beach to help chaperone some high schoolers in a couple of weeks. I hope to find a print copy of Omega by Susannah Sandlin to take along.

M.V.Freeman said...

Beach reads--*looks up in a blind panic*

You want names? On my list it is Carla Swafford, Ella Grace, Lexi George, Suzanne Johnson (seriously--Jean lafitte, who can turn him down), Jennifer Echols, Kathy Bone...

Sob. SO many books.
So little time.

(Bet you didn't think you'd get angst didya?)

Louisa Cornell said...

My list looks a lot like Mary! And the best part? My vacation starts SUNDAY!!! An entire week off from Walmart! Don't tell anyone! It will be a staycation, but that is fine with me. I will read, write and do some yard and house work. But most important - I WILL NOT BE AT WORK !!!

I also have Anne Gracie's The Autumn Bride and Maire Claremont's The Dark Lady in my immediate TBR stack!



Cari Hislop said...

I'll be reading...

If Angels Burn (first in the Darkyn series) a romance by Lynn Viel. I've never read her before, but I loved the dialogue/word flow of the first few pages. I ordered it today so I have to wait for it to arrive.

bn100 said...

Back to you by Priscilla Glenn because the epilogue was great.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Mary Preston said...

My friends are **RAVING** about THE UGLY DUCHESS by Eloisa James. Apparently, so they say, I'd be a fool not to grab it and read.


marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Chris Bailey said...

In addition to M.V.'s excellent list. . . I have on my TBR stack right now:
*Nathan Bransford's Jacob Wonderbar trilogy
*Augusta Scattergood's Glory Be
*Sheila Turnage's Newbery Honor book, Three Times Lucky

In the recently read and recommendable, but not new releases, category:
Meg Cabot's Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls series
Frank Cottrell Boyce--Framed
Gary D. Schmidt--The Wednesday Wars
Adam Rex--The True Meaning of Smekday
Andrew Clements--The Landry News
Linda Urban--A Crooked Kind of Perfect
Bobbie Pyron--A Dog's Way Home
Don't Feed the Boy--Irene Latham

They're all great books in their own right, but if you're not a fan of middle grade reads--well, get them for middle graders on spring break if you're concerned about keeping them occupied on a rainy day!

Oh! I also just read Any Place I Hang My Hat by Susan Isaacs--it's a WF/New Adult title!

Jamie Manning said...

Oh, this one's easy. Any time someone asks me for a good "beachy" read, I simply reply, "Anything by Jennifer Echols." Which is usually followed up by, "But start with Going Too Far or Forget You. Yeah, those." ;-P

Thanks for the great giveaway!

jmanni32 @ yahoo dot com

Paula said...

What is this spring break thing? I'll be spending the week writing, but when I get a chance to read, it'll probably be DEAD OR ALIVE by Tom Clancy and Grant Blackwood. I love me a good political thriller.