Friday, January 04, 2013

Timing Is Everything...Or Is It?


My first book was a baby that was born and then reborn. In the process of editing, my original file got corrupted. After countless hours trying to recover the file, by myself and professionals, I was only able to recover about five thousand words of the sixty thousand word manuscript. What remained was the beginning and the end of my book. I had to go back and recreate the middle of the story.

After several days of mourning my loss, I went in to re-write the book with a positive attitude, determined to make the story better. One of the speed bumps that I encountered along the way was the recreation of the first love scene. It was the only one I intended to describe in depth.

The first time I wrote it, the time was between midnight and two in the morning, a good time to write about things that go bump in the night (pardon the pun). The second time, it was eight o’clock on a sunny Friday morning and I just couldn’t get in the mood. I decided to do a less detailed love scene and possibly add to it at a later time.

Later, when I read it, I liked the brevity. As a reader, I like the lead in and the after-glow, my mind already knows what happens in the meantime (exchange of bodily fluids).

I wondered if the timing of writing the scene really had that much of an effect on the detail I decided to go with (or not to go with in this case).
Do you as a writer have a favorite time for writing the juicy stuff? How about as a reader? Is it really hotter after dark? Or can you get just as steamed up on a sunny Friday morning?
Post a reply and be entered in a drawing for a $10 Amazon Gift Card. Be sure to leave an email address so I can contact you if I draw your name.

medawhite.com ; Follow Me on Twitter ; Meda's Blog

8 comments:

Maria Perry Mohan said...

My favourite time to write is when the kids are in bed,preferably asleep, the partner is also asleep or even busy watching television, when I've recently eaten and lots of tea and coffee are freely available. That could be any time at all LOL

Ingeborg said...

I'm a reader and any time is fine with me.

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Louisa Cornell said...

Interesting post, Meda! I never thought about it, but I do tend to write better in the afternoon and evenings. I had a career as an opera singer and my waking/working hours were between 11 AM and 3 AM. Even now, years later, if given the opportunity those would be the hours I would choose to wake and write. My day job, however, insists I rise at the unGodly hour of 6 AM !!

I do tend to write love scenes better at night, but the most important influence in my writing is the music I listen to. I have specific pieces I listen to when writing love scenes.

louisa@louisacornell.com

Meda White said...

Maria- I'm with you. My creative juices tend to flow better at night, after hubs is asleep. I make pots of herbal tea and write for hours. I am trying to adjust my schedule though and write while my husband is at work. It's been a difficult adjustment.

Ingeborg- I think I'm better at reading anytime than writing. Sometimes, I take a day off from writing just to focus on the backlog of books I have. So many books- so little time. Sigh.

Louisa- I can tell music definitely influences the mood of my writing. I need to find some chick-a-boom music and turn it up when the heat is on.

Thanks for the comments.

Shannon R said...

I think steamy reading is best in the evening after the kiddo has gone to bed but before I get too tired to follow the story

fencingromein at hotmail dot com

Mary Preston said...

Some books are best after dark. The timing is just right. Having said that I read everything anytime for the most part.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Martha Lawson said...

I'm a reader and time of day or night doesn't matter to me!! Thanks for the giveaway.

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

Meda White said...

Thanks for the responses everyone. This morning, I put the names in a cup and my husband did the honors.

The winner of the Amazon Gift Card is...drum roll please...Shannon R.

I will email you and I hope you all have a great day!