Friday, December 07, 2012

Love Made Me Do It!

Do you remember as kids when we did something we shouldn’t have how we would always say “so and so made me do it!” Or was that just me? Seeing as how I have two young children and they blame each other all the time for everything I’m pretty sure I was not the only kid around who tried to lay the blame at someone else’s feet. My brother did too, for sure!

As adults society expects us to own up to our mistakes, but wouldn’t it be nice if we had an out―a fall guy or thing―as we had when we were children? If we did get to blame something for irrational behavior I think a good excuse would be love.
Oh wait,! We kind of already have that, don’t we? After all, people use “crimes of passion” as excuses for murder or is that just on television?

In the second novel of my Whisper of Scandal series, Conspiring with a Rogue, my heroine breaks every rule society places on her all for the man she loves. As I was writing the novel I placed myself in my heroine’s shoes, as I always do. The first thing I did was try to remember the craziest thing I ever did in the name of love. I probably shouldn’t tell you, but I’m going to.
In my senior year of college, before there was caller ID, I repeatedly called the boy I liked and hung up. I had the insane notion it would make him think to call me. Umm…now that I think of it, he did call me! And we dated for five years! In researching for my latest heroine, I had to dig deeper because I realized, other than some dramatic tears and corny letters, I had not done too many crazy things in the name of love. Lucky for me I know a lot of people who have! But since I’m a good friend, I won’t divulge their secrets.

Once I had some juicy stories about the craziest things people had ever done for love, I realized people really do break all sorts of rules for the love of their life. My heroine Whitney embraces this attitude in Conspiring with a Rogue. Here’s a little excerpt:
In order to save the man she loves from the enemy bent on destroying her, Lady Whitney Rutherford sheds her identity and escapes her past, making a new life for herself as Mr. Roger Wentworth, missing person locator extraordinaire. But when Whitney's best friend from her old life comes up missing and there is every indication the girl was taken by the debauched members of a sex club, Whitney dons a new disguise and infiltrates the sex club, determined to unravel the mystery and save her friend. She never expects to encounter Drake Sutherland―the man who still has her heart. In the dark world of pleasure and sin, Whitney must play a dangerous game and one wrong move could mean the death of her friend or the destruction of the man she loves.

The book comes out December 17! You’ll be able to find it on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and all major e-book retailers.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done in the name of love? I'd love to hear about it. but be warned, you might find your story in one of my novels with your name changed, of course!

Happy Holidays!
Julie Johnstone

 

5 comments:

Meda White said...

Hi Julie- the book sounds juicy. I'm looking forward to reading it.

My husband did something crazy for love and it was so sweet. I was training for my first marathon back in 1999. He was going with me to San Diego to cheer me on. Secretly, he trained on his own and surprised me by running the marathon with me. It was so cool. We have a photo of us crossing the finish line hand in hand. When it was over, he said he'd never do it again and he's been true to his word. He let me run the rest of them on my own:)

Julie Johnstone said...

That is amazing, Meda! You have a great husband!

Louisa Cornell said...

Wow, Meda, that IS a good husband! And for those of you who haven't read Julie's book you are in for a real treat! It is funny, sexy, exciting and so romantic.

Hmm. I can't remember having done anything really crazy for love. Then again it has been a LONG time! LOL

I think the sweetest example of doing something crazy for love is all of the things Mr. Darcy did for Elizabeth not ever knowing if she would know it was he who did them. VERY romantic!

Heather Boyd said...

OMG I've done a lot of crazy when I was young and new to being in love! LOL Hubby & I have been married over 20 years but most probably everything I did back then would be considered stalking thesedays.

M.V.Freeman said...

Awesome post Julie! :)
And the crazy things for love---oh, I've done a few. :)

One was rappelling down a castle wall...(this was years and years ago)