Friday, December 07, 2012

Editor Stephanie Taylor, 5 minute Interview


Today in my 5 minute interview series I am talking to Stephanie Taylor, owner and editor of Astraea Press,(http://astraeapress.com/ ) digital publishing house that focuses on sweet stories. She is gracious, fun, and easy to talk to. See what she she says about NaNoWriMo....

Why Digital?
S.T.: Easy access, and the change in the market. More and more schools are moving forward with digital school books, ipad labs, etc. Plus, you've got environmentalists out there and digital a great thing to do for our environment. You also don't have the clutter that paper books give. If you're an avid reader, those books really add up!
I love digital. I still love my books. But, lets face it you can hundreds in one hand...bliss. (So I'm with you)

How does your company address piracy issues?
S.T.: We send an “Cease and Desist”.. If they aren’t in the U.S. (and most are not) they don’t fall in our legal jurisdiction. But you do have an automatic creative copyright as soon as you open up your document and it time stamps it—and will hold up in the court of law in the U.S.

Much of the piracy comes from reviews—and sending out the ARCs. So our company has discontinued ARCs.
 Oooh! Now that's interesting. I didn't know that about ARCs. Something to keep in mind.

How can new authors make themselves valuable to you?
S.T.: Market themselves by social media. Using what’s out there. Some ways to do this is genre following. Make yourself available as a person, not just an author. 
Excellent advice. 

What is the one questions no-one’s asked and they should?
S.T.: Many are afraid to talk to me, and get to know me as a person. So asking anything about myself is generally not on anyone's radar.
That is good to know. You are very easy to talk to!

How does NaNoWriMo affect submissions?
S.T.Last year we marketed for submissions after NaNoWriMo. As long as the story is good, we can fix anything during editing! And it's a great tool for writers to force themselves into finishing that book they've always wanted to write. We love NANOWRIMO!
This is awesome! Something for a writer to strive for.

What are your thoughts on Serials? 
S.T.:  Love them! My USA Today bestseller, Rachel Van Dyken writes them, featuring the same characters. The House of Renwick series made her a bestseller so there's definitely a market for it!
 Oh! That is fabulous. I love serials. (And Rachel is a great writer). This is very promising.

Favorite Beverage: 
S.T.:  Good ole sweet tea or Dr. Pepper! I'm a southern gal through and through!
I learned to love sweet tea when I moved here. I miss it when I go north!

Thank you for coming by and talking with me Stephanie. I hope we can do this again. 

My next 5 minute interview will be posted December 15th, 2012. I will be talking to Sandy Sullivan, Editor (and owner) of Secret Cravings Press.  A digital publisher that specializes in spicy stories. 

11 comments:

Tanya Eavenson said...

Great five minutes! Enjoyed it!

jeff7salter said...

So ... sweet tea or Dr. Pepper.
Finally I know what to use for bribery.
[evil laugh]

Enjoyed the 5 mins. interview. Wish it had been 10.

Steve Finnell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patricia Kiyono said...

Great interview! I'll have to think of some personal questions to ask. And I'm glad you like series, since I'm starting one!

kayspringsteen said...

One case of Dr. Pepper coming your way! (Leaves more chocolate for the rest of us.) Glad to hear you like serials - guess that means you'll keep me around for a while since that's all I seem able to write!

Nell Dixon said...

I can vouch for the serials as my New Bay series is doing very well with Astraea Press. I smiled when I saw this was Birmingham as I live near the original Birmingham in the UK!

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Tanya! Glad you stopped by. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Jeff7salter,

awesome! :) Glad you stopped by--I want to do a longer interview sometime.

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Patricia,
That is awesome, I am glad that series are making a come back. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Kay,
Glad you stopped by--ah bribery of Dr. Pepper--good idea. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Nell,
That is cool that you live in the UK in Birmingham. ;) And congrats on that serial.