Saturday, December 15, 2012

Editor Sandy Sullivan, 5 minute Interview

Today in my 5 minute interview series I am talking to Sandy Sullivan, owner and editor of Secret Cravings (www.secretcravingspublishing.com ) digital publishing house that focuses on spicy stories. She is easy to talk to, savvy, and see what she says about how they find authors!
 
Your thoughts on Digital:
S.S.: Majority of the books we publish are digital. We print books 50k and above.
How does your company address piracy issues?
S.S.: We send take down notices. There is not a whole lot we can do. The majority of sites are overseas and that is not in our jurisdiction.
I have heard that from some of the other editors as well. It's frustrating for all of us.

What can new authors do to make themselves valuable to you?
S.S.:They can send a manuscript as clean as they make. Gradually over time new writers learn and it becomes easier. (Being a literal sort, I'm assuming you mean new writers learn to self-edit and it becomes easier) Yes. New writers learn to self-edit their work before it comes in for submission and it becomes much easier for them.
 
What ways are readers finding your authors?
S.S.: Social media—FB, reader groups, Yahoo, chats. Authors need to be interactive at these sites, not just “Buy my book”. The Author needs to be in for the long haul—because digital is out there for as long as you want it. Traditional publishing tends to have a shorter shelf life.
I think this is important to know for authors and readers. I know it can be hard to juggle, but necessary.

How does NaNoWriMo affect submissions?
S.S.:There is an increase of submissions. I have hired an acquisitions editor for this.
Very cool!

What is the one question no-one's asked and they should?
S.S.: What can I do to make my book more appealing to the readers from the very beginning? The biggest thing I see from new authors especially is the lack of grabbing the reader from the first sentence. You need to grab them and make them want to keep turning the page until they are done, but if you don't get them at the first sentence, you've lost them, possibly for good.
That is excellent--and you are right.

For fun: What is your drink of choice?
S.S. Smirinov—strawberry!
Yum! :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to interview you Sandy! I hope that we can do this again sometime.

My next 5 minute interview is with Agent Kim Lionetti on December 18th~ Hope to see you there. 

8 comments:

Jennifer Simpkins said...

I am one of those new authors at SCP, and have to say in the past 6 months I've learned so much. And now that I've completed the editing process for the first time, I will be able to take those things my editor talked to me about and apply it to future ms. Great advice, Sandy!

Pamela Mason said...

Sandy Lea Sullivan is not only savvy in publishing, but a successful romance author herself with her cowboy romances. I'd listen to what she says.

M.V.Freeman said...

@Jennifer,
Congrats! I have to say everyone I've spoken with has had good experiences. :) I like hearing that.

@Pamela, I totally agree with you! :)

Sandy Sullivan said...

You all are too sweet! Love ya girls!

~ Sandy

M.V.Freeman said...

Sandy,
I enjoy talking to you--we will have to do more interviews. :)

Jean Joachim said...

I've been with Secret Cravings for over a year now and it's been a great experience for me. I've learned a lot, like Sandy said, about creating a clean ms. It makes the editing process so much easier!

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Jean,
I agree with you very much! That is awesome that you are with them. :)

Kellie Kamryn said...

Great interview! Sandy and her company SCP is a great place for an author to start their career :)