Thursday, November 08, 2012

TAG: The Next Big Thing Blog Hop ILLUMINATION


So, I was approached by both the fabulous R.R. Smythe, A.K.A. Brynn Chapman and Susannah Sandlin to participate in this blog hop, and I thought I'd give you a peek at what I'm working on.
 R.R. Smythe is a fabulous writer of Historical Romantic Suspense (awesome Gothic feel to her stories!)
Susannah Sandlin is another fabulous writer of Dark Paranormal Romance (with Vampires, I love Vampires!)

http://www.rrsmythe.com/ and
http://www.susannahsandlin.com

We were to talk about upcoming books. I chose the book I am working on, the second in my series.

What is the working title of your book?
Illumination

Where did the idea come from for the book?
This is the second of a series, the first INCANDESCENT, where the Heroine-Mina and the Hero Xander were secondary characters.  I felt they deserved their own book.
Xander is an artist forced into a political role-to him position and power are everything. Mina comes from a race that his people are at war with—but he’s known her for a long time. She’s insatiably curious and nosey, it’s all about the adventure. I like putting polar opposites together to see how they learn to work together and I am finding this combination very fun.

What genre does your book fall under?
This is where it gets tricky:  Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Romance. (Yes I am pushing the envelope)

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Xander: Joseph Morgan
Mina: Ashley Greene

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Fleeing her own kind who want her dead, Mina turns to Xander, her people’s mortal enemy for help, who faces a choice—help her and lose everything, betray her and regain it all.
Or   Romeo and Juliet meets Practical Magic.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This book s represented by the Aponte Literary Agency.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Um. I am still working on it. So, I’ll get back with you on that one.

May we see an Intro?
             "A failure."
             Stieg frowned instead of answering the Chairman, he pulled the sheet over the girl’s body. The small movement caused bits of epidermis to flake off her cracked dried skin. At fifteen, the plump smoothness of her body was gone. Now it resembled a slab of dehydrated meat. Stieg was a Mage board member, one of six second only to the Chairman himself. But that didn’t mean a damn thing now that he was under house arrest. His only value lay in experimenting on the young of the three races, Mage, Elemental and Dark like this husk of girl. Humans, were useless and better left alone.
            “This makes ten Elementals in the last six months and three Darks.” He couldn’t help but smooth her grey hair; the strands were prickly and straw-like. Last week her hair had been a glossy mahogany that matched her brown eyes. Those same eyes now stared forward; milky and sightless.
            “Getting squeamish?” The heavy sound of the Chairman’s approaching footsteps made Stieg shut his eyes for a second.
“No. I’ve come too far and sacrificed too much.”  

Note: This is just a rough draft and will be revised. Probably far too many times to count.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
This is a mix of Urban Fantasy, Horror, and Paranormal Romance.  It’s hard to pin it down for me because I am writing exactly what I love in other genres. But I think in the sense of authors--Ilona Andrews, J.R. Ward, Karen Marie Moning...to name a few.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I was inspired to write it because it is something I want to read. Fast paced, full of scary things, and the emotion of romance. I am straddling a fence and I am trying hard…very hard…to make it work. 
Plus, once Xander and Mina surfaced in the first book--I wanted to know more about them. 

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
The quirky heroine with her love of Cheeze puffs. Alpha hero and lots of 
murder, mayhem, and monsters--lets not forget the Russian Mob....and magic.

For the next blog hop, This is where I am going CHEAT!  I am going to change the above questions and later this month I am going to start this blog hop again. So check back On November 21, 2012. Because it's going to kick off the Holiday Season....
 
Also: I am going to start a series of interviews I did with Agents and Editors--quick five minute ones. The first one will be: November 15th, 2012

8 comments:

Cathy MacRae said...

What fun! I'm glad to see more of Mina. Isn't is great to have such fun with your characters? Good luck on your blog hop!

Katherine Bone said...

I know this book is going to be even better than your first, M.V.! Why? Because you've set up the world for us in Incandescent and now you can run wild with it!!!

Now hurry up and finish so we can read it! ;)

Shanna Roberson said...

I agree with Katherine! I can't want to know more about my favorite character. I just love Mina and all her delightful weirdness. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Cathy!
Mina is hoot--I'm having too much fun with her. ;)

M.V.Freeman said...

Katherine, LOL Thank you--I'm writing! Love hanging out in this world!

M.V.Freeman said...

Shanna--she is so delightfully weird! I love it when does something really strange--especially in a tense situation. ;)
And thank you! :D

Carla Swafford said...

I so cannot wait to read it! Loved the first one. When I get time, I plan to read it again. It by too fast the first read. :-)

M.V.Freeman said...

Oh Carla thank you! That means a lot to me!
You know, I'm waiting for your third book in the Circle series...I have to find out what happens!